When to Purchase New Brake Drums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 4Runner has a bunch of miles. I have replaced front rotors/pads and am now back to replacing the rear drum brakes. How do I know when to replace the drums?

I believe the maximum ID is cast into a brake drum. Most shops won't turn a drum if the ID will exceed that spec. Should be somewhere on the drum. I haven't had anything with brake drums for several decades but expect brake drums still carry the maximum ID.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I believe the maximum ID is cast into a brake drum. Most shops won't turn a drum if the ID will exceed that spec. Should be somewhere on the drum. I haven't had anything with brake drums for several decades but expect brake drums still carry the maximum ID.

I just watched an "Eric the Car Guy" video and that's what he said. thanks!

Drums are cheap (in general) if you are thinking about turning thrm just buy a new set and make sure to get new hardware and new adjuster kits with it too. Also since you are replacing all that hardware and have had or will have had to bleed the system, new hoses would be in order also and are cheap.

Bought a pair of drums for my Accent at AutoZone last summer. One was out of round out of the box and made a clicking noise when driving.

The rear drums usually get replaced much less often than the front discs, and considering that drum brakes are much harder to work on than disc brakes, you might as well replace them when you replace the shoes.

You may also want to replace the wheel cylinders, too. Rock Auto carries Advics wheel cylinders, made in Japan

Get the Wagner E-coated drums from Rock Auto. They are the best drums to get because their coating covers everything except the surface where the shoes contact. Most other coated drums don't coat where the drum contacts the hub and the wheel, leaving them prone to rust and impossible to remove.

If you replace the shoes etc. reuse the drum, if it all works out, cool, if there's a problem, then replace the drum.

2002. Hmmm. 15 years of stopping your car. I'd replace them. Very good chance they are out of spec now. I did the brakes on my 1997 F150 and didn't even bother measuring the id diameter. I just figured it was time. Especially when I did not know for sure what had occurred in the past with the kid who I bought the truck from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back