2017 CR-V 2.4 oversize Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i found a fram ultra for this motor, im just curious if there is an oversize ultra that fits this motor, if so i would rather use it than this smaller ultra. I use oversize filters on everything but am having trouble finding one for this vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

7317 is plenty big and is the oversized version of the 6607.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
xg7317 is the filter for this engine by the way.

I ran the same filter out to 24k it looked great. So I'd use the 7317

Short answer, no. Recent generation (~2008 on) Hondas have block restriction surroundings the filter mounting area. That means the 9688/3593a slightly larger in diameter no longer can be mounted because the restriction. Older Hondas can mount that size where 7317/14610 is spec'd.

Really though, the 7317 size is plenty of filter for the 2.4L. and no benefit to the larger filter. Run same size on 3.0L V6 Honda and it's all you need.

I run the Fram Ultra XG7317 for 2 oil changes on my K24z3, and it could probably be ran for a 3rd.

The 7317 fits my 2005 Polaris Ranger XP 700CC side by side. Wal Mart has a pretty large selection of Fram Ultras and they are just a couple of bucks more then the Fram model they carry just below the price of the Ultra. Seems like a no/brainer.

What problem you trying to solve going over sized? In the rare event you have a filter failure, if the filter is not cataloged by the filter maker for your application, they have grounds to deny warranty.

I question the idea that just because the can hold 4 addition oz of oil that the surface are of the media is larger also. Is that data available for the "oversize" filters or is it a "it just feels good" to be different? Ed

I have read that on here that a bigger filter is better rather than a smaller one. And I'd imagine a bigger filter has more filter surface area than a smaller one. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

There is a huge difference in amounts of media between different brands of filters using the same outside can size. But between Ultras of course a bigger can should have more media. I would go with the factory size if the filter threads angle down or are horizontal. I don't know what your Honda filter position is. They do know what they are doing at the Honda mfg. company.

Yea I plan on running an ultra instead of a honda oem filter. I was just curious if there was a bigger ultra that would fit.

So you bought a 2017 Honda CR-V that came with a manufactures warranty, but because you have read that "bigger is better" you have no issues with using a filter that is not recommended by Honda for use on their vehicle, therefore allowing Honda wiggle room to void your warranty if a motor issue occurs.

Don't think that the filter manufacturer will back your claim either. Here is Fram's warranty, all filter manufacturers have the same language in their warranty.

FRAM® filter products manufactured or sold by FRAM Group Operations LLC are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval and FRAM® hard parts (filters and hard parts are collectively referred to as,(“Products”) are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one (1) year from the later of the date of purchase or the date of installation.
This warranty covers properly installed or utilized Products, installed in vehicles as cataloged by the then applicable FRAM® product catalog (“Covered Products”).

This warranty does not cover any Product that:

a) has been subject to misuse, neglect, negligence, accident or casualty;
b) has been improperly installed;
c) has been installed into an engine which is not referenced as a conforming application by the then applicable FRAM® catalog; or
d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval.

Last edited:
Have you heard of the Magnuson-Moss Act? They would have to prove that the oil filter caused whatever hypothetical issues i would have, and prove that because of the oil filter, is why i am needing repairs. A fram ultra is not going to cause a problem with warranty. I have used my warranty for a million different issues on many different cars, including ring replacement on a 2010 silverado i had because of coked rings from an oiling issue, FRAM ultra on the truck, always did my own changes, didnt keep receipts for anything, they still replaced my rings and didnt say anything about my oil filter. Fram ultra is a better filter than a honda oem, and i will be using it, and it will NOT NOT NOT be a warranty issue unless the filter itself causes a problem. And even then i highly doubt it would cause a problem with warranty due to it having a built in bypass like other filters.

I believe it can take several years with attorneys to untangle the mess caused by using a different filter. If you enjoy that sort of challenge then by all means do what you want. Ed

BITOGers are generally cautious when it comes to using the right filter for a specific application mostly due to warranty concerns.

There is generally nothing to be gained with an oversized filter unless you are looking at keeping one size for your entire fleet of vehicles and/or because of price. If the threads and bypass in an oversized filter are the same as what the OEM specs, your chances of any problems are extremely low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back