2015 Grand Caravan super easy ATF exhchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
That was one easy ATF cooler line exchange, I didn't even have to jack up the car. I guess it goes for any Chrysler 62TE tranny.
All that needs to be done is disconnect the ATF cooler return line (one with the black cap) on top of the transmission, connect a vinyl tube and start the car. Very easy and quick. I actually spent more time getting the correct fluid level, since I overfilled, than exchanging 10L of ATF. I used the oil dipstick to measure the proper level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work KrisZ! I too used my engine oil dipstick by scribing a mark on it, but I never was 100% confident as I based it on the factory fill level. I do recall the black cap on our 2013, but didn't realize it was the return. Did these lines thread off or do they have those push/pull fittings?

Ultimately, I paid a local transmission shop to do a pan drop and filter change on our 62TE, mainly because it was only $75. Hope the current or subsequent owners appreciate it!

Last edited:
Just be paranoid about not allowing that small wire clip on the tranny line to shoot off into outer space or fall into the abyss! Been there, done that on my last Caravan, LOL. They make a special tool to avoid this, but that would be too easy.
Jiffy_Tite_22930.jpg

shaped like wings for flying into the night air......on Sunday night....no stores open
grin.gif
:
9110124_nda_800801_pri_larg.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK
Great work KrisZ! I too used my engine oil dipstick by scribing a mark on it, but I never was 100% confident as I based it on the factory fill level. I do recall the black cap on our 2013, but didn't realize it was the return. Did these lines thread off or do they have those push/pull fittings?

Ultimately, I paid a local transmission shop to do a pan drop and filter change on our 62TE, mainly because it was only $75. Hope the current or subsequent owners appreciate it!

Thanks JTK!
The lines are held by a wire retaining clip. You just have to slide the cover off, remove the clip, be careful as I almost lost mine, and the lines can be pulled up with a little bit of force.

For $75 I would've probably let the dealer do it as well. In Canada I paid over $80 just for the ATF alone.

I will look again but I don't believe that my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L V6 and 6 speed tranny even has a dipstick. I'm thinking a breakaway cap and the use of a temporary dipstick while monitoring fluid temperature with a scan tool is what is used to check level after a filter service. I believe the interval is also 105,000 miles which in this case the van will be onto other owners anyways.

ATF exchanges seem to be one area where the dealer has a real deal.

When I first went to do the exchange in my Navigator (real pain in the donkey) I found the dealer would do the whole thing for less than I could get the fluid alone for. So I let them have it.

Do my own, now that I know how the tranny works, but it was refreshing.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
I will look again but I don't believe that my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan with 3.6L V6 and 6 speed tranny even has a dipstick. I'm thinking a breakaway cap and the use of a temporary dipstick while monitoring fluid temperature with a scan tool is what is used to check level after a filter service. I believe the interval is also 105,000 miles which in this case the van will be onto other owners anyways.

They do not have have an ATF dipstick. The tube is there to accept one, but it's just capped with a removable cap that says something like "dealer only".

Like said above, some of us just borrow and insert the engine oil dipstick and mark the ATF level on it as a guide.

Kris- thanks for the update on the spring clip deal. Yep. I too have dealt with those before. Good times! My $75 pan drop job was from a local transmission shop that has a few shops in my area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back