Any Synthetic 10W30 Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if any readers are using synthetic 10W30 in newer vehicles with lower mileage (i.e. not using 10W30 because of high mileage / older engine) ?
For those that do use synthetic 10W30 - your reasons ?

I've been running primarily 10w-30 syn oils for the past 12+ years. We live in a Mountain climate where winter temps routinely dip well below zero. Never had issues with cold starts. Running a lot of PP / Napa syn. / Oci 5-6K. /. This regimen sustained 2 so called problem engines. 1. '02 dodge stratus 2.7 V-6 ran it to 170K sold to my mechanic for his daughter. 2. '07 Saturn Aura 3.6 V-6 sold at 140k running great. I like The viscosity stability & lower NOAK.

I have some Castrol Edge 10W30 in my oil stash, probably use it for my next oil change. I doubt I will notice a difference over the M1 5W30 synthetic in there now. But in theory the 10W30 should have lower volatility and more shear stability, which I like.

When it comes to the cold start winter W rating, get as much as you need, but no more than you need.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I have some Castrol Edge 10W30 in my oil stash, probably use it for my next oil change. I doubt I will notice a difference over the M1 5W30 synthetic in there now. But in theory the 10W30 should have lower volatility and more shear stability, which I like.

When it comes to the cold start winter W rating, get as much as you need, but no more than you need.

Is your 10w30 Edge an A3/B4?

I like our Edge HM 10w40 for this reason. It's only available at parts stores, but buying it on sale brings it to normal-ish prices.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is your 10w30 Edge an A3/B4?

The Oz Castrol Edge 10W30 is A5/B5 so HTHS < 3.5 cP
But our Castrol Edge 5W30 is A3/B4 with HTHS > 3.5 cP

So for me the 10W30 is the thin oil and the 5W30 is the thick oil.

It was talked about on BITOG (Here)

I sometimes use Valvoline Synthetic w/Maxlife Technology because it has very low Noack (6%), and 10W-xx is perfectly fine in South Fl.

I run alot of 10w30. It is usually always what I put in my 06 Dodge which is spec'd for 5w20. I have also ran it in the Ford 4.6's and the Lincoln I traded actually got better fuel mileage on it over 5w20.
The Ford 5.4 has 10w40 in it now. I had 7 qts of Castrol Start up laying around and I heard it made them quieter.
Not much difference. The gas mileage went from 15.4 to 15 over 5w20.

I've been using Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 10w-30 in my 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 V-6 and my 2016 Kia Cadenza (same engine). Kia and Hyundai both state in the owner's manual that 10w-30 is one of the recommended weights. I just prefer 10w or 5w.

Yes - spec'd in our 2007 V6 300 - went from normal Mobil 1 to 10w30 HM - but grabbed enough (clearance) QS Defy at year end to make 3 changes with that and XG16 ...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Curious if any readers are using synthetic 10W30 in newer vehicles with lower mileage (i.e. not using 10W30 because of high mileage / older engine) ?
For those that do use synthetic 10W30 - your reasons ?

I use it in the summer because it was on sale and had a rebate. I switch back over to my on sale with rebate 5w-30 in the fall.

I have used 10w30 in all my vehicles past and present and could not physically tell any difference vs 5w30 which is what is oem recommended. I used it fir the same reasons listed by others and I got it on clearance. No temp issues in socal

Last year some Valvoline 10w30 was on sale, so I bought a couple years worth of Synpower for my Sonata.

Runs excellent, burns zero oil now, also good for this GDI pig, and Hyundai approved grade.

I notice a lot of users in warm climate OR only use it in the Summer ? I am due for a oil change and like all that a 10W30 synthetic provides for a GDI engine . Worse case my Winter temps can get down to the teens (F.) for a few days each year but the norm is high 20's to low 30's F. most nights . I know a 10W synthetic should be good down to 0F. but wonder if splitting the M1 10W30 with 2 qrts. of M1 5W20 would provide any noticeable benefit for cold starts - again at the cold start temps I listed above ?

I use Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 in my 300ZX that has 113,000 miles. That's the "thinnest" oil Nissan recommends for my car.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I notice a lot of users in warm climate OR only use it in the Summer ? I am due for a oil change and like all that a 10W30 synthetic provides for a GDI engine . Worse case my Winter temps can get down to the teens (F.) for a few days each year but the norm is high 20's to low 30's F. most nights . I know a 10W synthetic should be good down to 0F. but wonder if splitting the M1 10W30 with 2 qrts. of M1 5W20 would provide any noticeable benefit for cold starts - again at the cold start temps I listed above ?

Oh yeah,a 10W will be just fine. I've used 20W50 dino in -7F and it started and ran impeccably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back