Thoughts or experience with FCS quick struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered some for my 2003 Grand Marquis from Rock Auto. Wondered if anyone has used this brand. Thoughts?

Made in China-so on BITOG they are automatically cursed.

The general consensus is that there are better ones out there.

Last edited:
I just purchased DTA-branded ready struts for my CR-V, made in China. Good reviews, and $300 vs. the $500 for KYB. I'm not in a position to splurge on an extra $200 for a car with 250k on it.
Working on it tomorrow.

The second set of struts that I put on my 03 CRV were KYB and made in Taiwan. They lasted a few years and leaked. I replaced them with Bilsteins and now the ride is very firm.

How is the ride height and general feel of the car? Shocks react but the springs do more of the work and generally don't need to be replaced. Generally.. I would assess the springs first and simply replace the struts versus buying a lower quality quick strut

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
How is the ride height and general feel of the car? Shocks react but the springs do more of the work and generally don't need to be replaced. Generally.. I would assess the springs first and simply replace the struts versus buying a lower quality quick strut

Won't the car have well over 200,000 miles based on it's age? It's a pretty sure bet (IMHO) the springs are not what they used to be.

I would imagine even the quick struts he bought will be an improvement.

Last edited:
Mine are OK...the ride height is right, though they do not seem to be as good as the Ford police struts, as far as damping.

You;re better off with Monroe, KYB, or Gabriel quick struts. Monroe and Gabriel will be running their rebate promo in a couple weeks (they do it every September/October). Buy 3, get 1 free after rebate. This makes the premium quality name-brnad quick struts competitive in price with the FCS and other cheap Chinese struts.

The cheap quick struts like FCS, Sensen, Unity, etc. rarely last 10k. The low-line blue Monroe Econo-Matci (blue) might not last 30k, and they have no warranty. Gabriel's new red Guardian Readymount is probably similar to the Monroe Econo-Matic.

Premium quick struts (Monroe Quick Strut, KYB Strut Plus, Gabriel Ultra Readymount) are good for at least 50k, and have a lifetine warranty.

Autozone often has a good price on Gabriel as well, and a no-hassle lifetime warranty that they honor with no problem at any AZ int eh country, and you don't even need to keep the receipt, just your phone number.

This vehicle has 129,000. No idea when or if it ever had struts and shocks changed. I put Gabriel Ultra shocks on the back and new stabilizer links all round. Rear passenger shock had zero pressure. Whole car could be bounced. It for sure has a stiffer ride now.
I consider this my beater car. Old, rusty, scratched and dented. Might only put 7,000 miles on it a year these days.

They are made to a price-point. That price-point being inexpensive. They simply don't perform as well, and likely won't last as long as better quality struts/shocks.

For a car you like and intend to keep, I'd buy better quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back