Article on Glock 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
"......the most obvious include a non-polyagonal rifled barrel, an updated grip with an integral magwell and no finger grooves, a new nDLC finish",.....

http://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the-glock-gen-5-129141.html#ixzz4qmsgPbmB

So basically, if you like the Polygonal rifling, finger grooves, and the Tennifer finish, you don't want a Gen 5. Not trying to be sarcastic. But that seems to be the gist of it.

Interesting. Besides mags there are 5 parts common to G4s. And no more polygonal rifling, lead bullet guys will be happy. No finger grooves, meh, plenty of other good pistols don't have them. Nothing is gotta have a G5 earth shaking unless the grooves were the deal killer before.

Finger grooves never bothered me, do like the rough texture of the Gen4 over my Gen3's. No plans here to run out and get a Gen5 since nothing is really common to them anymore it seems.

Seems Glocks are starting to get kinda complicated. Lots of trigger changes apparently, I wonder if the shooting characteristics are improved.

Originally Posted By: billt460
"......the most obvious include a non-polyagonal rifled barrel, an updated grip with an integral magwell and no finger grooves, a new nDLC finish",.....

http://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the-glock-gen-5-129141.html#ixzz4qmsgPbmB

So basically, if you like the Polygonal rifling, finger grooves, and the Tennifer finish, you don't want a Gen 5. Not trying to be sarcastic. But that seems to be the gist of it.
Nothing there that would cause me to go out and buy one--in fact, quite the opposite (but I thought the overview was nice in the article).

The redesigned locking block sans second pin likely means these pistols are "non-customizable" with regards to the trigger group for the short term. Additionally, "Since Glock says the Gen5’s will only be offered in 9mm, the parts may not require the .40 cal reinforcement that came from the locking block pin" which **seems** to suggest the Gen 5 may not be as strong as the Gen3/4 pistols.

Just bought a gen 4 17L. I have watched every limited run go by for many years hesitating and then missing the opportunity. The 17L joins my 24C to complete the long barrel pair.
Based on the information provided I see no need to wait for a gen 5 to make a new Glock purchase.

Last edited:
Glock really is confusing people with this one.

They should have just called the Gen 5 a special edition; FBI model instead of actually Gen 5 and making people think this is all they are going to make now.

My understanding is that Glock is going to keep the Gen 4 as their standard but make the gen 5 version in 9mm only for now. I hope it stays that way.

I am one of the rare guys that likes the Glock finger grooves. They seem to fit my hand nicely and I think they stop my hand from shifting or sliding around on the grip when I fire. I also think that the finger grooves were the ONLY feature a Glock had that makes them visually unique or even slightly appealing. My biggest problem with Glock is how plain, bland and boring the gun is to look at. The Gen 5 version takes a boring gun and makes it deathly boring!

The flared mag well and maybe the traditional rifling are the only parts I think were smart moves at all. I really hope this whole "Gen 5" thing falls flat on it's face and is a special edition only, kind of like the RTF 2 series.

I have no issue with the grooves either, although they may contribute to the shooting low issue a lot of Glock shooters struggle with.

Finger grooves don't bother me. Gen 4 to me is compelling enough to buy over a gen 3 for the same model. This gen 5 is not.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Doesn't mean much to us in California, the Gen 4s were never on the approved roster.

Are the Gen 5's?

Not that I have seen. They have to spend around $40,000 per part number to be approved just like the CARB EO numbers for performance parts.

Doesn't mean much to us in California, the Gen 4s were never on the approved roster.

Are the Gen 5's?

Not that I have seen. They have to spend around $40,000 per part number to be approved just like the CARB EO numbers for performance parts.

So.... The government there is basically holding mass produced products they don't like to begin with, hostage. Until they receive the proper, "ransom" for each individual one. They then allow for the "release" of each one on an individual basis.... What's not to like about life in the, "Golden State"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back