Uber experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I had inquired about BITOGer experiences with Uber as I was unsure about switching from taxi service to the unregulated realm of Uber.

So, now that I have tried it a few times, I am a firm believer that the age of the taxis may be over if they don't reform. I have seen unmatched cleanliness of the Uber cars, excellent service and convenience and quite interesting drivers.

I used to use my G35 to drive for them. It was a great side gig and I could easily make a hundred bucks in a few hours before the NFL games on Sunday.

You haven't been stuck with an Uber driver in a small car then. Most of my rides have been great but one gal who drove me was in a Aveo type car and it was cramped with a weak AC.

Used Uber in Bogota, Colombia and it was a positive experience. Car was modern, smooth, clean and most importantly the driver didn't drive like crazy.

Im an Uber driver and all I hear is nothing but praises from riders. I gotta admit - it does feel good to always have a clean car. All it takes is an occasional wipe-&-vacuum.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You haven't been stuck with an Uber driver in a small car then. Most of my rides have been great but one gal who drove me was in a Aveo type car and it was cramped with a weak AC.

Ive used uber extensively all over the country. I estimate a 50% savings over a taxi.

Ive been in some cars that have seen better days, some with stinky drivers, etc. Some people try to be "pros" (full time), and Ive had college kids doing it to make a few bucks.

The insurance and regulation bit scares me a bit, but I suspect most taxi companies are shielded too from big payouts or high liability.

The one thing that I dont trust is if I absolutely need an early morning ride. Ive not tried the ride timing service on Uber yet... So if I have a 530AM flight, and need to ensure Im picked up at 4:15, Ill book a taxi.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Where exactly do you live?

It's apparently a big secret.......

Ubered once from a hotel to Phoenix Mesa Airport at 4:30AM...no problem, the guy said they do lots of early morning airport runs and the app showed 5 or 6 drivers nearby at that time. Mitsubishi SUV was a tiny little thing but it got us there, cheap.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Can you tell Uber driver to take alternative route to avoid heavy traffic ?
Yes you can. Navigation gives the shortest, but often not the most convenient way. You can tell the driver to drive whatever route you want. Uber will calculate the final miles+minutes spent on the route and will charge you for that.

One guy wanted me to take the long way home. 70 miles (1.5 hours) vs 18 miles (30 mins) originally given by the navigation. In the end of the trip he revealed that his gf just cheated on him and it was her card on Uber file. I definitely enjoyed that fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back