Do you have a favorite spark plug brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is one manufacturer really that much better than another?
Are Iridium plugs really that much better than double platinum plugs if you don't plan on running them 100,000 miles?

Spark plugs aren't a one size fits all.

IMO what's best is what it came with. Jeeps like Champion, Toyotas like Denso & NGK, GM's like AC Delco etc.

I had great results with bosch twin tip spark plugs but my sister had the tip fall out causing a misfire.

I think whatever is OEM. The engineers got paid to figure it out, I didn't. My Liberty gets the OEM NGKs (nickel), LR3 gets the OEM NGK (Iridium), probably put whatever is OEM in the old Cherokee when I get around to it and I think the new Cherokee gets Iridium NGKs too.

NGK for the last 10 years or so, AC-Delco used to be my go-to plug but they stopped producing them In-House. The AC-Delco Iridium plugs are made by NGK & I will use those.

I don't really have a opinion on Platinum vs Iridium, But I have Iridiums in all my current gas powered vehicles, When I had Boosted high performance engines I ran NGK Copper V-Power plugs in the desired heat range.

If your going to change plugs every 30,000-50,000 miles....Copper plugs will serve you well in most applications.

My go-to brand is NGK. They make the best spark plugs
smile.gif

Denso is also good, and often at a better price than NGK. So they are a close second.

If the plugs are hard to get to, like most transverse V6 engines, iridium is a MUST! That way, you won't have to do it again for a long time
happy2.gif

If the job is easy, I just stick to OE-spec plug, provided they are still easy to obtain at a good price. Otherwise, NGK or Denso. One example of this is the 00-04 Volvo S40/V40, which originally called for a Champion (platinum) RC8PYP, which they don't appear to make anymore. In that case, I'd go for NGK platinum (or possibly Champion iridium).

For cars that have spark plug wires, I like NGK because of the cool blue color, and because they are numbered for easy identification.

One more exception is the mid-00's Ford 3V 5.4L V8 with those stupid 2-piece spark plugs. For that engine, I'd use the iridium plugs Bosch just came out with. They are finally on sale now. Autozone has them for $8.99, but online-only. Free shipping, no minimum, plus 20% off with an online code, AND a $3 per plug rebate! The Bosch Iridiums are made in Germany. Part number 96322.

I prefer NGK for the majority of my spark plug purchases.
But have purchased AC Delco and Denso in the past.

I've had good luck with NGKs in Hondas. I've heard some cars are more particular with their spark plugs and have a certain brand they work best with. For my OPE, I swap out the original plug with NGK with no trouble.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Spark plugs aren't a one size fits all.

IMO what's best is what it came with. Jeeps like Champion, Toyotas like Denso & NGK, GM's like AC Delco etc.
have you tried the autolite double platinums in your jeep? Mine runs well on them

Last edited:
It used to be that NGK/Denso only came on japanese cars and american cars had chamipon/autolite and euro cars had bosch. But now it seems like the American and european brands are specing denso and ngk. So, to me, that means those brands are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back