Toro oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my new to me Toro manual.

Initially, the crankcase must be filled with 20 ounces(0.55 liters) of SAE 30 oil; 10W-30 oil may be substituted. if SAE 30 is not available. Use any high quality detergent oil having the American petroleum Institute (API)“service classification”—SF, SG, SH or SJ.

I noticed the word 'must', do not think I have seen that before.
I plan on using what I used in my Honda mower. Mobil 1 10W30 EP.

Go to your local auto parts store. Walk over to the 10w-30 oil selection. Close your eyes and grab one. It won't make a bit of difference.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"must be filled" as in "there is no oil in there"

^^^ EXACTLY!! ^^^

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Toro factory is right by me. If the forum would let me link a pic via my iphone... i would post a pic.

Use Safari.

It'll let you use the same photo upload icons as any Windows machine.

They let you use all the WAAAY back to SF?
The lubrication needs of that engine are Very, VERY low.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Go to your local auto parts store. Walk over to the 10w-30 oil selection. Close your eyes and grab one. It won't make a bit of difference.

winner winner chicken dinner

From the Toro web page.
Recommended Oil type for Toro Walk Behind Mowers, 4-Cycle engines - SAE 30W Detergent oil with an API service classification of SF, SG, SH, SJ, SL, or higher.

So anything that Lubricates from xW30 to xW50 will be ok
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
From my new to me Toro manual.

Initially, the crankcase must be filled with 20 ounces(0.55 liters) of SAE 30 oil; 10W-30 oil may be substituted. if SAE 30 is not available. Use any high quality detergent oil having the American petroleum Institute (API)“service classification”—SF, SG, SH or SJ.

I noticed the word 'must', do not think I have seen that before.
I plan on using what I used in my Honda mower. Mobil 1 10W30 EP.

10w30 may be substituted, it says. So yes, What you did before is perfectly fine. In fact, its better than SAE 30.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
So anything that Lubricates will be ok

I fixed that for you.... LOL!

No problem
smile.gif
I have b&s 3.5hp lawnmover and Tecumseh hmsk 10 snowthrover..... Both run flawlessly on anything from 5-10-15w40 for 20 years
wink.gif

The Mobil 1 10w30 will work fine.

As long as the oil level is full in small engines they will be fine.

My 2008 Toro 22" Recycler with a 6.5 Briggs was bought brand new. It has had SAE 30, 10w30, 10w30 synthetic, 5w40 Rotella, etc, and runs perfect with no smoke.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
More truth there than most will admit .

The 10,000 mile mobil 1 ep that gets drained from my cars is used in my push mower and snow blower. And that gets changed once every 2-3 years. And 15yrs later they still run like new. Dont worry about it just send it. Them small engines will run on monkey [censored] and they wont care...

I could go buy some cheap Supertech 10w30 but even then i think the 10k M1 EP drained from my car is better. Haha. Really though... It doesn't matter..

I use 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic & leave it in for a season or two in my 1990-ish Toro Recycler II. It burns no oil, starts first pull and runs fantastic. It only takes 1/2 quart ~ $3 so why not put in something that will keep it going at top performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back