Valvoline Brake fluid / Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys:

It's time to replace brake fluid again. I noticed that the Valvoline fluid is Dot 3 or 4. How is that possible? I always read that the two could not be mixed.

Also - the Honda manual specifically recommends Honda Heavy Duty fluid. What are you folks doing in this regard?

A reputable DOT 3 or DOT 4 are fine. Boiling points in DOT 4 are a bit higher than DOT 3, but DOT 3 is fine for daily driving. DOT 3 will absorb water faster than DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 so it may need changed more often. DOT 5 is a fluid with silicone and you do not want that in your system. Stick with DOT 3 or 4 and you will be fine. DOT 5.1 is a more race oriented fluid.

DOT 3: fine for daily driving
DOT 4: good for daily driving, slightly higher boiling point.
DOT 5.1: racing oriented fluid, unnecessary for daily driving.

DOT 5: fluid with silicone content and not to be used in systems unless specifically specified. Also not for use in ABS systems.

The only difference between DOT 3 and DOT 4 is the dry boiling point. DOT 5 is incompatible with DOTs 3+4. Now there's a DOT 5.1 That will mix with 3+4, but NOT 5.

Any DOT 3 or DOT 4 is fine
smile.gif

Regular fluid changes are MUCH more important than what brand you actually use. Even Walmart DOT3 is fine as long as you replace it regularly.

That said, Castrol DOT 4 brake fluid (formerly LMA) is supposed to absorb moisture more slowly, allowing for longer service life. LMA actually stands for Low Moisture Activity (Castrol doesn't call it LMA anymore, but the fluid itself is the same). It can be used wherever DOT 3 or DOT 4 is called for. Boiling points are 509 dry, 329 wet.

Autozone has Bosch brake fluid that's supposed to be good, High boiling points, low viscosity, which is good for ABS systems.

My latest Honda brake flush I used 'Prestone DOT3 High Temperature Synthetic' BF from Walmart. Ordered online for store pick up, only $1.71 12oz bottle. I bought 3 bottles, took ~2&1/2.

Any DOT3 or DOT4 will work. And they can be mixed. Valvoline DOT3/4 also an option.

Originally Posted By: Chester11
Hi guys:

It's time to replace brake fluid again. I noticed that the Valvoline fluid is Dot 3 or 4. How is that possible? I always read that the two could not be mixed.

Also - the Honda manual specifically recommends Honda Heavy Duty fluid. What are you folks doing in this regard?

What Honda considers heavy duty? What Honda is it? Do you do a lot of mountain driving?
Valvoline will be fine for some grocery getting, school pick up, basically daily driving.
I use Valvoline to clean my vacuum pump before I change fluid on my vehicles
smile.gif

I would personally just buy what the car requires and avoid the Valvoline DOT 3/4 stuff. Plenty of "real" options out there.

If I had to use it, I would be more inclined to run it in a DOT3 requiring vehicle. My .02.

Hello always used prestone or valvoline brake fluid in my truck. but 2 weeks ago used LUCAS DOT 3 brake fluid it made a big difference better pedal feel and the truck stops better with less pedal pressure .lucas dot 3 at autozone.

Thanks all. After hitting up Walmart and Autozone - I got annoyed that filters were not in stock and went to the Honda dealer.

32oz of Honda fluid was $11. 12oz was $6 - so it was pretty much a no brainer to pick up everything in one place.

Thanks guys....so I went with the honda fluid for the honda. I'm also doing a Mazda soon. If I can find the Castrol I will pick some of that up. I haven't seen it in any stores near me.

I went with Prestone on the Mazda a couple years back, and the fluid looks pretty dark. It was my first go at doing a full brake job on my own, and I think I botched the bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back