2011 Murano rear brakes - tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks,
In a couple of weekends I'm going to be helping a relative (well more like doing it for him
grin.gif
) with the rear brakes on his 2011 Murano. He's buying the parts (Wagner rotors, Akebono pads) and I'm bringing the tools. He provides the beers for afterwards.
I've watched a few videos and determined that aside from a clearance/interference issue with the lower caliper bolt it doesn't look like there's anything tricky to expect. Nevertheless I'll bring my impact driver, mini-sledge, and full assortment of ratches and box wrenches.
Just wanted to check with BITOG to see if anyone can verify or has any tips for this particular car. Thanks,

jeff

I don't think this brake job is anything out of the ordinary and should be a quite simple job. [You probably know all this]. After the hold down bar is taken off to remove the rotors, make sure the hub is clean so the rotor fits flush to it. Also wire brush the hold down bar where the pads slide in and replace the anti-rattle clips or at least make sure they're in good condition.

Lube the sliders and add some lube to the pads ears and the Akebonos should work just fine. Bleed the calipers after all is installed and call it a day...I may have missed a step however, this Murano should be as simple as your used to seeing.

Last edited:
Worst part can be getting the rear rotors to come off on vehicles with the parking brake built into the hat of the rear rotors. If things are in bad shape, be prepared to replace parking brake parts.

I've had some pretty good success with Nissan rear brake rotors coming off easily even after 4-5 years. Although, if these rear rotors on the posters car are still OE, they may give some trouble. MD doesn't use the same amount of salt(if any) in their winters as our(ROC/BUFF) winters.

The car is in Allentown PA, which is a pretty snowy area, so we'll see. I find a few shots of knocker loose and a mini sledge will dislodge most rotors
wink.gif

Question on the parking brake - I've only had one car with the drum style parking brake, my old Saab, and all I had to do to get the rotor off was release the brake. Will that work OK on the Murano?

Originally Posted By: greenjp
The car is in Allentown PA, which is a pretty snowy area, so we'll see. I find a few shots of knocker loose and a mini sledge will dislodge most rotors
wink.gif

Question on the parking brake - I've only had one car with the drum style parking brake, my old Saab, and all I had to do to get the rotor off was release the brake. Will that work OK on the Murano?

It should! However if there is rust build up, the rotors could give some fight! You'll be fine. Keep us posted.
smile.gif

Just be careful when using a sledge as you don't want to damage any ABS sensors or tone ring...Sadly, I've done this!
frown.gif

Last edited:
A trick I learned from a dealer mechanic.. and it sounds horrible, is to actually drive the car around the lot with the parking brake on. This will wear enough clearance between the P-brake shoes and "drum" part of the rotor to allow for easy removal. Plus it heats things up which helps with the removal.

Beating them off poses more risks IMO. I've done that too and broke the P-brake shoes, springs, clips, etc. The star-wheel adjusters are typically rusted beyond use after 4-5 winters where I live depending on the vehicle.

Good stuff guys, thanks. Hopefully no tricks or sledge hammers will be required...

I've got my full set of sockets, extensions, breakers, combo wrenches (flex head ratcheting and offset), caliper tool, torque wrenches, impact screwdriver and some miscellaneous stuff packed up. Anything weird I might need? My Saab required an E-torx socket for removing the front brakes. Don't want to get caught with my pants down.

Anyone have the torque specs for the caliper bolts, mounting frame, lug nuts?

jeff

Worked on a 2007 Murano. 1st gen, yours is 2nd. Just a tip. The rear brakes were a combo disc regular brakes / drum for the parking brake. Constant complaint of the owner (family member) was a squeal only on the 1st few brake presses often after parked for awhile (when brakes are cold). It ended up being the worn drum material somewhere inside the drum squealing when it's cold. When cold it's just slightly smaller enough for something to scrape with all that worn drum brake material inside the drum. Opening it, cleaning it out and spraying it all down with BrakLeen and checking the parking brake clearance did not help. Completely replacing the worn drum pad did. I suspect me futzing with springs inside the when replacing drum pad was beyond enough to flex that squeal.. wherever it was coming from.

Originally Posted By: greenjp

Anyone have the torque specs for the caliper bolts, mounting frame, lug nuts?

jeff

Probably not what you're looking for, but I snug caliper bolts with a standard 3/8" ratchet handle and snug mounting frame bolts with a 1/2" handle. I've never once used a torque wrench on them. Same with lug nuts.

OEM Nissan rear rotors for "pb in hat" style will have a access hole with rubber plug to allow you to get at parking brake pawl if you need to back it off for removal of the rotor. Should not be needed, but nice feature if you do.

Last edited:
Fellers,
The job went well. The parking brake did not prove to be a problem at all, nor did any of the bolts. Had to whack the rotors a bit with the mini sledge to get them off but nothing ridiculous. The fit of the Akebono pads was a little weird; the piston side pad was extremely tight but the outside pad was quite loose. Anyway it went together with a bit of wiggling and there were no odd noises, vibrations, etc in subsequent driving. Thanks,

jeff

Good to hear everything went well, however in my experience, if the pads didn't go in as easily as the OE ones, I experienced overheating and glazing issues very shortly after the job was done.
If it were me, I would monitor the brakes for signs of overheating, like bad smells or one wheel being hotter than the other.

Yes! Good to hear it went well for you. If only most of my rust-belt brake jobs went so easy! I too have found minor fitment issues with aftermarket pads. Never had a long term issue that I noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back