Can People Hack My Helmet Bluetooth in Traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my new motorcycle helmet, I bought a bluetooth headset that nestles inside so I can hear turn-by-turn nav from Google Maps or other nav software running on my Android 5.1 (Lollipop) phone. Also has FM radio in the headset, and intercom helmet-to-helmet amongst as many as six total helmets with a decent range also. Also take phone calls via the headset but my rule on that is only when pulled off and parked.

So all that got me to thinking. When I paired the headset to the phone, no pin was requested. Does this mean anyone nearby in traffic could pair their phone to my headset and eavesdrop? Not that there would be much of anything to hear but maybe they could hack into my phone this way too?

You have to set the headset to be "discoverable" so it can try to pair with other devices. It's not as easy as someone simply sitting next to you in traffic and suddenly connecting their phone to your headset.

No. You don't have to enter a PIN but you very likely had to pick out your device from a list and prompt it to "connect".
That creates a dedicated link and another phone cannot just attach or piggyback on that signal.

Can it be hacked?

Probably...I reckon most everything can be hacked today.

Will you start receiving directions to turn Left by a hacker when you should turn right?

Probably not.

It has to be "discoverable".

If already paired with another device, like it would be while in use while you're out, it cannot be paired with another device.

Bluetooth also doesn't have much in the way of range: If you're moving, it'll be hard to do anything before you're out of range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back