To change/ not to change, 06 Forester N/A port inj

Status
Not open for further replies.
06 Forester N/A port injected.

Been about 15 months and 6700kms. Approx 4k miles. Many short trips. Filled with edge 5w30 a3/b4.

No oil consumption so no top ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
That oil is good to at least 6,000 miles, even with your use ... I'd go the distance
smile.gif

This has to be one of the funniest questions asked on BITOG and it never gets old.

It makes a great friday afternoon gag.

Originally Posted By: KL31
06 Forester N/A port injected.

Been about 15 months and 6700kms. Approx 4k miles. Many short trips. Filled with edge 5w30 a3/b4.

No oil consumption so no top ups.

If you drive a lot of dusty dirt roads change it and your Air filter as well.

Last edited:
I change mine yearly whether it needs it or not. I don't put on too many miles any more but lots of short trips. So I say change it.

Me personally? I'd change it because I like the sound of old oil coming out and new oil going in. In all reality you are probably A-OK to go more miles on the oil that's in there. Change it if you want to. But you probably don't NEED to.

Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is a full synthetic Euro long-life oil with OEM certs like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 and high zinc (~1000 ppm) which adds oxidation resistance and a high starting TBN (> 10). In Europe the standard OCI on this oil would be 2 years / 20,000 miles / 30,000 KM. I don't like pushing my oil that far in terms of miles, but KL31 you have ample life left in that oil. I bet you it's still not black on the stick.

Oil has gone dark brown for sure. Not jet black. Has a classic old oil smell to it too.

Maybe I should UOA. But UOA costs as much as I paid for oil. Still would be good to see how oil is doing...

Just made the thread for fun. I'm thinking the same as you sr5.

All city driving (but no peak hour) and no dirt roads or dusty conditions.

I think you are on the right tack here KL31. And I like threads started just for fun. That's needed around here at times.

All these guys saying "change it" couldn't give you ONE solid, concrete reason why you NEED to if their lives depended on it.

That excellent oil is still fine, and at only 4,000 miles just now starting to change color, doesn't really mean a lot.

It's been proven over an over and over and over again that calendar dates do not affect oil life.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
All these guys saying "change it" couldn't give you ONE solid, concrete reason why you NEED to if their lives depended on it.

That excellent oil is still fine, and at only 4,000 miles just now starting to change color, doesn't really mean a lot.

It's been proven over an over and over and over again that calendar dates do not affect oil life.

I'm with you....I cannot understand how sitting in your oil pan is so detrimental to the life of oil. Pull the dip stick and LOOK at it, smell it. Does it still appear to coat the dip stick? How does it feel between your fingers. Bet it is perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back