CV shaft play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am chasing a large vibration in the rear of the CRV. I thought it was an unbalanced or out of round tire but swapping tires hasn't helped.
So I guess that leaves driveshafts? The rear CV half shafts have some play when I grab the middle of the shaft from the back of the car and pull forward and back but not very much, like ~1/8". The CV shaft ends where they go into the diff and hub seem to tight. I tried pulling on a newer front CV shaft and it has no play, so I guess the small amount of CV shaft slop is shaking the whole rear of the car? I've had bad CV joints before but they never seemed to shake the car like this.
The drive shaft to the rear diff seems tight everywhere.
Also the vibration goes from 30-35mph, then stops and starts again at 45mph and up.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
When did you last change fluids including rear differential fluid with DP-2 ?

It was done 30-40k miles ago by the Honda dealership when my parents owned it, so its probably due again. The diff and 4wd engagement system seems to work silently, and all the shafts ends on it are tight.

Old DP-2 can reult in a shudder.

Didn't know that, this feels like the tire is out of round or balance. Just wondering if the small amount of CV play could cause that much shaking?

You discussed End Play. Here are the axle nut torque specs for just about everything, including your 06 Honda CR-V's front and rear:

http://www.skf.com/binary/81-66360/457377.pdf

I would start by checking the one with 1/8" play.

As for the rest of your inspection, I'm not sure if your "tight" covers CV joint wear. With the wheel in the air, when you rotate the wheel, how much can it turn before the axle stub at the diff (or transaxle) turns? Is all that slop in one or both CV joints?

Rear Diff- here is an 06 maintenance schedule:

https://www.hamiltonhonda.net/2004-2006-CR-V-Maintenance-Schedule.html

It says to check condition and level every 20K and replace diff fluid at 90K. Personally I would not wait that long, plus I would do it myself. Of course, just like my Pilot VTM-4, they sell DP-II in bottles just under the quantity needed, so you have to buy two.

I don't recall that they had much twist(torsion?) play, but the shaft between the two joints had the 1/8" play when pushed and pulled at right angles to the shaft. So I guess the joints must be pretty shot?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't recall that they had much twist(torsion?) play, but the shaft between the two joints had the 1/8" play when pushed and pulled at right angles to the shaft. So I guess the joints must be pretty shot?

The joints themselves should have zero play in them. The inner tripod joint can move laterally by design but that is well over 1/8" of movement.

If you have 1/8" of play in a joint then yes, that is a lot of play and can easily give rise to a vibration when driving.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The joints themselves should have zero play in them. The inner tripod joint can move laterally by design but that is well over 1/8" of movement.

If you have 1/8" of play in a joint then yes, that is a lot of play and can easily give rise to a vibration when driving.

Alright, off to rock auto I go to get some new CV shafts.

Does it occur at all times or just while turning?

All the time, so I was near 100% sure it was a tire out of round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back