Cylinder Borescope 2010 Genesis Coupe @172k (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pics are a bit grainy/blurry but it was a $30 borescope that I've never used before. The videos for whatever reason didn't record properly or I would have more to show of the cylinder and crosshatching condition, which both appear to be in great condition. 172,xxx miles on the vehicle at the moment. I use top tier gas, the occasional bit of PEA treatment and MMO now and then. Only synthetic with extended drain intervals. Burns no noticeable amount of oil. Idles smoothly. I would like to remove that carbon from the piston tops though.
sEYzo7U.jpg

iTAuTGP.jpg

RL32J4T.jpg

ptHO5mm.jpg

wwTJnPu.jpg

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
I would like to remove that carbon from the piston tops though.

What carbon?!?

That's just "color"...

it only goes away when you have a cracked head & the cylinder is "burning water"

That carbon reises your compression ratio. Run some higher octane gans and put your foot in the gass tank and enjoy the few extrr HP.
smile.gif

The piston top looks good. A little bit of carbon protects the piston top. I'd leave well enough alone, and continue doing what you've been doing.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
I would like to remove that carbon from the piston tops though.
Back in the days of carburetors, as part of the "shade-tree" tuneup, we would take a Coke bottle of water and use our thumbs to allow it to dribble into the carburetor at part throttle to "steam clean" the engine. There was an older guy who did this religiously and the combustion chambers and piston tops in his engine were shiny (from what we could see while changing the spark plugs).

Looks good. I can see the coating of carbon on the cylinders. Not sure I'd do anything to clean it though.

But, awhile back I used Mopar's Combustion Chamber Cleaner product (not sure if it's still around) and it worked just like the water treatment. Spray it in while running, make a big smoke show and with last quarter volume of the can choke out the engine. You'd then spray an ounce in each cylinder and let it soak. Supposedly the soak helped clean up the rings to. Last Jeep 4.0 I did that to had shiny silver piston tops when I pulled the head immediately after. Initially they looked much like yours. Not sure about today's vehicles as id be concerned about the O2 sensors. Think I would pull all the O2 sensors and plug the holes with some kind of bolts and run a clean cycle that way. Seems like a lot of work for little to no reward though.

The carbon on the piston and cylinder head is a bit of an insulator. It may be slightly beneficial for efficiency as less combustion heat (remember the heat does the expansion and therefore the work) is lost to the piston and head. Plus carbon increases the compression ratio a bit.

Good points Linctex. This looks very good in reality. The valve looks quite good to me as well. Good job here Lethal1ty17. I hope mine look this good as well. I have 199k miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ coupe.

Last edited:
I'm impressed that you got those usable pictures out of a $30 borescope. Now you have my attention.

btw a water cleaning may be in your cylinders' future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back