Rookie 2 stroke scooter questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to scooters and 2 stroke engines. The 2010 scooter I bought only had 56 miles on it. It seems to run well and the PO said he drained the gas out every winter, but I'd like to put some fuel system cleaner in the gas to potentially clean up any varnish. Is it ok to use fuel system cleaner in a 2 stroke engine?

2nd question. This is a Kymco scooter and the manual was obviously written for markets other than the U.S. It specifies "refill #92 or #95 nonleaded gasoline". I don't think they mean 92 or 95 octane? Do most 50cc scooters run fine on regular 87 octane?

Yes, on the fuel system cleaner, in an appropriate amount.
I bet the manual is referring to RON, not R+M/2 like pumps are rated.
Premium fuel in your scooter is appropriate.

Better stroke oils have fuel stabilizer. Some Seafoam won't hurt.
MO, while the little scooter may be OK on regular, giving it a better grade may prevent some other ignition issues if its air cooled. Your not filling up a 40 gallon tank so 30 cents won't break the bank

I'd run the highest octane fuel at the pump.

Is this scooter oil injected or must you pre-mix it?

I'd run Gumout with Regane through it. Just go easy on it....don't dump the whole bottle in a 2 gallon tank.

These air cooled 2T motors do well with a quality oil. Consider getting a good synthetic oil. It's worth it, believe me. Buy a gallon and your scoot will thank you.

Here are some of my favorites:
Maxima K2
RedLine Racing 2T
Torco

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
, but I'd like to put some fuel system cleaner in the gas to potentially clean up any varnish. Is it ok to use fuel system cleaner in a 2 stroke engine?

2nd question. This is a Kymco scooter and the manual was obviously written for markets other than the U.S. It specifies "refill #92 or #95 nonleaded gasoline". I don't think they mean 92 or 95 octane? Do most 50cc scooters run fine on regular 87 octane?

1) what varnish are you dreaming about?
smile.gif
If you want to clean something...find its fuel line and install additional fuel filter instead!

41zNWf2vyqL._SX355_.jpg

2) And yes.....they meant RON 91 or RON 95 octane fuel....if I am correct...that is your regular gasoline there

You dont need premium.......unless if you will tune that 2stroke engine

3) for non tweaked engine......API TC or API TD oil will suffice......you dont need to pay premium for oils mentioned above.....

Last edited:
This is oil injected...right?

I would make sure and get an oil that works for injected. I don't have a 2stroke scooter, but had multiple 2t bikes. My scooters are all 4t and I use the same Torco 4t that I have on hand for my quad. Torco is fantastic stuff, but can be a little pricey. I'm sure whatever oil you use will be fine, as long as it can be used in an oil injected setup. Most of my stuff is run on non-ethanol 89 octane.

I've used Techron or PEA type cleaner in my stuff and it had no ill effects. I use the appropriate amount as a treatment every so often. Mainly if it is at the beginning of the riding season. I always put in some type of stabilizer in my regular gas that's in a can anyway. I only use it towards the end of riding season to get the fuel/stabilizer distributed throughout the motor at the end of the season. During regular use and riding season I don't bother. I don't worry about my premix motors as the oil helps stabilize the fuel (could be wrong on this, but seems to work for me).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back