2008 Honda Civic Automatic Tranmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO I test drove a 2008 Honda Civic LX yesterday, it was vibrating around 14-16mph(like slight shaking). I noticed it around 2 times at the similar speeds.

ATF fluid looked a bit dark, couldn't really tell since it was bit late.

Question is, what would it be? Can a simple drain/refill of ATF 2-3 times cure the problem or it'll be something major?

Never noticed anything at highway speeds or any other ones.

Owner said ATF has been replaced, but he doesn't know about kind of fluid, since it was done at a shop.

Any thoughts or opinions from experts
smile.gif
Thanks

I got a 2010 Civic sedan. Had vibration at 55-60 mph zone. Replaced the CV axle and that eliminated the vibration. I think you have a mechanical issue there. If fluid was at fault - it would probably slip at certain engine speeds, not vehicle speeds.

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
I got a 2010 Civic sedan. Had vibration at 55-60 mph zone. Replaced the CV axle and that eliminated the vibration. I think you have a mechanical issue there. If fluid was at fault - it would probably slip at certain engine speeds, not vehicle speeds.

Thanks, how many miles and did you notice any other symptoms for a bad CV axle? Like any slow speeds shake or anything?

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
How many miles on the car? Sounds like a bad inner CV joint to me.

So it means whole CV axle needs to be replaced and nothing major? Like nothing could be possibly wrong with transmission or something?

I wouldn't buy that car. Sounds like the owner is trying to get rid of a problem. There is no shortage of civics around.

Take it to a mechanic for a diagnostic. Theyll charge roughly $100. Either you find out the problems with the car ahead of time, and it is acceptable, or you spend the $100 and save yourself from possibly thousands in repairs. Id rather spend $100 and KNOW rather than speculate and possibly be out of much more money. Or do as 2010Civic said, and avoid the car altogether. Does sound like a CV axle issue to me though, although hard to speculate through a computer.

I'd agree with the CV axle post.

Trans fluid usually won't cause a vibration like that. It may impact shifts and produce a faint whine in different gears, but not a vibration.

If the fluid is dark I'd also question if it was really changed. I changed the fluid on a friend's 2007 Civic which had original fluid at 130k miles. It was a dark red when it came out, but on the dip stick it wasn't too dark.

2006-2008 were also the years that had the cracking engine block problem. Not very common, and Honda offered a recall until 10 years or so, but a problem if it happens to you and you are outside the recall time period. Honestly I'd look for a 2009-2011 for one of those Civics.

Thanks guys for your valuable input. We have put down a deposit for the car already last night.

Yeah, I have a 2006 and I am well aware of cracking engine block. I thought it was fixed for 2008 and onward since it was most prominent on 2006/2007 models.

Just curious, how much does it cost to replace the CV axle?

The cracking block was fixed in the beginning of 2009. So some of the 2009's are affected.

I would guess a shop would charge you a few hundred for labor and $100-200 for the axle itself. For each side.

I've replaced a few cv axles on this generation civic and it isn't too bad but not the most fun thing ever.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
The cracking block was fixed in the beginning of 2009. So some of the 2009's are affected.

I would guess a shop would charge you a few hundred for labor and $100-200 for the axle itself. For each side.

I've replaced a few cv axles on this generation civic and it isn't too bad but not the most fun thing ever.

That's not bad at all. Because of the deposit, we can be mentally prepared for a worst case scenario of it needing a CV axle.

We have done all front suspension components(ball joints, LCA, sway bar end links, outer tie rods), for a 2003 LX, might not be harder than that I guess?

Just walk away Rene. Something wrong with the car. Get your deposit back and never,never,never leave deposits on car purchases.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Just walk away Rene. Something wrong with the car. Get your deposit back and never,never,never leave deposits on car purchases.

Not sure why he needs to make a new plan Stan.

A slight vibration in a 9 year old Honda. No big deal.

Deposits on used cars are very common if you don't want the car to be sold while financing is arranged and the whole point of a deposit is to hold the vehicle. This buyer would not have a right to reclaim his deposit unless it was specifically stated in writing he had the right to refund for changing his mind.

Hopefully your vibration is not due to an axle issue as axle issues can be a nightmare. Determining which axle is at fault is difficult. I've found normally with front wheel drive vehicles that the front axles will have problems 3-4 times more often than rear axles. If you narrow down the problem to front or rear axles, it will be a [censored] on the left or rear axle. In the event you change an axle, I would only use Genuine Honda rebuilt or Genuine Honda new axles as almost every aftermarket axle I've ever used has caused vibration or other issues which only complicate the matter further.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Thanks, how many miles and did you notice any other symptoms for a bad CV axle? Like any slow speeds shake or anything?

The car had 60k miles when the shake started.

Vibration doesn't sound like a transmission problem. More likely to be a CV axle.

If it is the axle, get Raxles if they make them for your car.

As far as the ATF goes, do a drain-and-fill whenever the MM suggests it. Use Maxlife or Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. The Castrol ATF is on sale at AAP until 8/30, 2/$11 (must buy in multiples of two)

I think the Honda AT fluid is the way to go. Some AT trans problems with Hondas.

Easy for you to say. Repairs may be more than the car is worth. You you don't know who he gave the deposit to,how much the deposit was or if he can get it back,etc.etc.etc. Maybe you have his deposit. Never,never,never put a deposit down on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back