Air conditioning electrical help

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 ford focus. AC compressor engages and AC light in switch is on with fan switch set to low (1), but fan does not run, so no cold air. When the fan switch is in any other position (2, 3, or 4) fan works fine, but ac clutch disengages and blue light in AC switch goes out.

I removed the fan switch, if I jumper hot, fan 1 plus any other fan setting AC engages and fan runs and I get very cold air.
I disassembled the switch and it appears to be a straight forward switch, it passes an ohm test in all positions and does not appear to have any kind of jumper between 1 and the other positions.

Not sure where to go from here...came to Phoenix to fix daughters car and will only be here a couple days.

That is the classic symptom of a burned out resistor. Surprising they'd still use a resistor system in 2007 though.

Check the ductwork for a mouse nest, because when airflow over the resistor is impaired, it will burn out.

The car is in Phoenix, I am 6+ hours away. It was actually blowing very well, and 32.3 degrees on low fan setting. She loves it. Bought part at Autozone for less than $14 with a lifetime warranty, and they had it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back