1996 chrysler sebring convertible transmission leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about the automatic transmission on a 96 chrysler sebring convertible I changed my transmission fluid and filter didn't have a leak but now I do but it's not leaking from the sump where I did the filter any help would be appreciated

Originally Posted By: kschachn
You have a Chrysler Sebring convertible there in the UK?

+1 I was thinking the same thing.

That being said it sounds like there might be a gasket failure. Did you torque the bolts down properly? It is easy to over-torque and cause a leak. My advice would be to replace the gasket with a rubber (if possible, versus cork) and determine the torque specs and go from there. Transmission pans and gaskets are usually sensitive to warping if over-torqued and can cause leaks. If you are looking for a "fix it" bottle, ATP-205 does a nice job fixing leaks but honestly I would replace the gasket and check the pan for any warping.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
That being said it sounds like there might be a gasket failure. Did you torque the bolts down properly? It is easy to over-torque and cause a leak. My advice would be to replace the gasket with a rubber (if possible, versus cork) and determine the torque specs and go from there. Transmission pans and gaskets are usually sensitive to warping if over-torqued and can cause leaks. If you are looking for a "fix it" bottle, ATP-205 does a nice job fixing leaks but honestly I would replace the gasket and check the pan for any warping.

Yep, maybe just a loose screw.

Ya know.

Try ATP 205 re-seal... I have seen many Transmission that leak ATF and 1 bottle of that cured it..
It sounds like a gasket / seal leak...

AT205

You can call Advacne Auto Parts and tell them to type AT205 as the part number as if your were buying and it will pop up what stores in there area have it then you can have it sent to that store... I guess it beats ordering online...

Google the reviews of ATP205 reseal.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone and yes I have a chrysler sebring convertible in the UK was originally from Orlando florida the leak is not coming from the pan I've checked all around it and it's dry but the the trans fluid is dripping from all over the bottom of the gearbox and it seems some other parts of the engine like it's splashed everywhere while I was driving

Ok I've had a look under the car and as I said it's not leaking from the sump where I did the filter but it looks like it's coming from both sides where the half shafts go into the gearbox could it be seals gone both sides ?

Ok I've had a look under the car and as I said it's not leaking from the sump where I did the filter but it looks like it's coming from both sides where the half shafts go into the gearbox could it be seals gone both sides ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back