Which iridium plugs for my avalanche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 avalanche 5.3 used for towing, usually in 3rd not OD.

Looking on rock auto, i see

Denso iridium long life 5090
Denso iridium TT 4713
NGK 1465 laser iridium
NGK 7397 iridium IX

Any experiences with one over the others?

Also what is a good set of coil wires?
Standard Motor Products Blue Streak
or
AC Delco professional?

Thanks

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 123
The laser is the best plug the ix the worst, the IX has a single precious metal electrode, the long like a thicker core and the laser has precious metal on both electrodes.

I just asked someone one here about this recently. Since this was via pm I changed their name in the quote above.

When I did my research for my vehicles I decided to go with the denso iridium long life. Best out of the platinum/iridium ones anyway.

You can't do wrong with the top three listed in your post. The Denso iridium LL's are the cheapest dual element spark plugs out there.

I have Denso's newly released Iridium TT's in my 5.3L right now. Can't really tell if it made a difference from the iridiums I pulled out.

I used the Denso 5090 plugs and NAPA Belden wires and they seem to work fine.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
You can't do wrong with the top three listed in your post. The Denso iridium LL's are the cheapest dual element spark plugs out there.

I have Denso's newly released Iridium TT's in my 5.3L right now. Can't really tell if it made a difference from the iridiums I pulled out.

The TT's are a good plug. They aren't that new because I installed a set 2 years ago in a little Saturn SC2.

I used new OEM Delco plugs in my 2005 5.3 Avalanche last year. The original Delco plugs lasted for over 100,000 miles, so I didn't see a need to switch brands. I reused my old wires which still looked good and haven't had a problem with them so far. The wire boots are a bear to remove from the plugs without damaging the shields. I bought a wire removal tool, and used a can of PBblaster to get mine off. IIRC I had to loosen the PS pump to get the left front plug out. It also helps to be a contortionist for both rear plugs. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I used new OEM Delco plugs in my 2005 5.3 Avalanche last year. The original Delco plugs lasted for over 100,000 miles, so I didn't see a need to switch brands. I reused my old wires which still looked good and haven't had a problem with them so far. The wire boots are a bear to remove from the plugs without damaging the shields. I bought a wire removal tool, and used a can of PBblaster to get mine off. IIRC I had to loosen the PS pump to get the left front plug out. It also helps to be a contortionist for both rear plugs. YMMV.

I would have replaced the wires too. AC Delco replacements are only about $40 on rockauto.

I believe Denso or NGK makes the OEM Delco double-iridium plug, use any of them with confidence. I wouldn't waste time with single-iridium(NGK IX/Denso Iridium Power). GM used to make their own spark plugs, but it seems like Denso/NGK makes the Delco OE series, and Autolite/Federal-Mogul makes their copper and single-platinum/Rapidfire plugs.

OEM wires(Delco OE) are best, I did use the Professional line in a friend's truck and so far, so good.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with ACDelco Iridium in Vortec V8s and my Ecotec. They're usually a decent deal, and even better you can get manufacture rebates as well right now.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
2003 avalanche 5.3 used for towing, usually in 3rd not OD.

Looking on rock auto, i see

Denso iridium long life 5090
Denso iridium TT 4713
NGK 1465 laser iridium
NGK 7397 iridium IX

Any experiences with one over the others?

Also what is a good set of coil wires?
Standard Motor Products Blue Streak
or
AC Delco professional?

Thanks

NGK Laser Iridium (.6mm wire) and Denso Iridium Long Life (.7mm wire) compete against each other with the iridium tipped center electrode & platinum disc on the ground electrode.

Then Denso TT is the .4mm wire with a platinum alloy cylinder welded to the ground electrode, to reduce quenching of the flame kernel). It tries to balance performance with longevity

the NGK Iridium IX has a .6mm iridium wire with a tapered ground electrode to reduce quenching of the flame kernel. It would have the worst longevity, so if you don't mind replacing spark plugs more often, that's your choice.

Those NGK hybrids (plat/iridium) are hard to beat, same as OEM. We try to get those out by 100k miles but depending on circumstances we have run them to ridiculous mileages.

The newer 6.0's with VVT seem to be the most fussy yet, they like new plugs at 100k miles or so.

Always change the wires, all you guys moaning about your pickups make sure and do a van some time!!!

If memory serves me right, NGK at least was the OE suppliers of plugs for AC Delco. That said, I am not sure what the equivalent of AC Delco iridium is, which is likely the OE plug.

I am not a fan of switching this sort of thing up with different brands.

The ACDelco Iridium is a reboxed NGK Laser Iridium at half the price
smile.gif

Denso iridium TT is the state-of-the-art and OEM plug for current Toyotas. It has the highest efficiency (twin thinnest electrodes) and longest life (iridium).

FzxvTppL-YZ3cLf-FhefPd4wIUcpQqFeF9ScmgI_YV6GsumfErg_7MKP7BDlVqAEDkC6fz3sMMeVCjn3IDujc28dQeU20KSojhvvhOcOSp1RKOz_XSxjxRBr_c25c9-G_Gh-wYjgDqi5tsMDg9oAoqr9qhqsGzfe8JRSxfn6Lr8D0GqpLejx5TbrQlXgH_sZIOD1kBxIRY7JKfyq0pEsvluZCyuG7MTrsx8X1r6cJu9uoZawNnfmwwkvMhbrm7MwtrZVPDVCmcmQy09XisbT0Qy5SEOi2wH1-8HlWHVdz0047AOmx7tXLehkXki2UtnxsJO_xDDhIvC00vW_tgSqEvaL25-mmlWK_l14KXRQMvuWmPmZYmQUAs_oxDM-Ly1rgdXiiUI7qURNzo3TlKZXfO95TjWWJcKW4ntikjB-jj-nxBSuuLDjAHJCwuqswDAU93JfLp4W5mnJogDDmlz_34mX85bf4ehcXS_rp1r27k7szs-bS2QhRG0EnvoPyd97swGFyFuMvIuYh5nzhglgPrGc8IYTRfjPRX0uKZZAGIVrZa5M799ewBYd5hoz5jglLtV5gEF3B4fycue5kdB3T8qwmuwAyz3fL9sNyFCqFukhyGHGWyhXfg=w1447-h1980-no

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

PFFFF! Usually it's the other way around.
21.gif

AC Delco has a rebate now too, which is nice. $3 back per plug (*if you buy these).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I hope that's true I'm buy a set in a few weeks trying to decided ACDelco or NGK Laser Iridium . Was thinking the NGK's was a upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back