Recommend a spark plug for Toyota 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need recommendations for good spark plugs for a 2.4L (2AZ-FE) Toyota engine in 2009 Scion xB. Which ones seemed to improve the performance the most for you? Thank you in advance. Would like to stay under $60 for 4 spark plugs.

Generally you should replace with the same factory which are most likely Denso or NGK. These will/should give you the best performance, fuel economy & longevity. And you could easily spend less money than $60...maybe even 1/2 that if you buy online.

Denso makes good spark plugs. NGK seems to be copied or they relaxed QC because there was a bad series here. Beru is another option (made in EU) but I'm unsure if available in your specification.

What he said ^^^

Open up the owners manual and pick either the NGK or the DENSO spec'd out in the manual.
Both great plugs.......
$60 seems high for 4 plugs, though.....shop around.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thank you fellas. Will go with NGK. Which is more beneficial though... Copper NGK and replace every year? Which I dont mind, it'll take 10 mins. Or iridium plugs? Do they simply offer longer interval? I want to get the best performance, do not care for the interval. Best performace in terms of fuel economy and power. So which type of NGK?

A pack of iridium Denso or NGK via Amazon are around 25 bucks. Most vehicles using iridium have a change interval of around 90 to 100k. I may pull and check my plugs next spring for the summer driving season. Right now with my Xb having only 35k and it starting near instantly and use of 5-20 its getting over 30mpg. If the car had a 5 speed tranny it would easily get upper 30's IMO

I doubt that you'd be able to note much difference in your performance measures traceable to your spark plug choice, regardless of marketing hype. Iridiums last the longest distance/time, but I won't run them to 100K as Toyota suggests. The iridium plugs' thread plating may prevent their seizure in the cylinder head, but I still replace them at 50-75K miles to be sure that I have no problems getting them out. This has worked well enough for my Camry's first 263K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Thank you fellas. Will go with NGK. Which is more beneficial though... Copper NGK and replace every year? Which I dont mind, it'll take 10 mins. Or iridium plugs? Do they simply offer longer interval? I want to get the best performance, do not care for the interval. Best performace in terms of fuel economy and power. So which type of NGK?

Wire diameter choice impacts performance vs longevity. Thinner means better performance but reduced longevity

Also ground electrode impacts performance vs longevity. Tapered electrode is better performance but reduced longevity. The rectangular with platinum disc is less performance but better longevity.

I have a set of NGK BR7REIX (0.6mm wire diameter with tapered ground electrode) coming via Amazon to replace the stock plugs on mine, which are equivalent to NGK PFR7S8EG (which is an expensive plug), which is a double platinum plug.

Denso also has "Twin tips" (suffix of TT), which has a cylinder (I think platinum alloy) welded to the ground electrode to give it a balance of performance (reduced quenching of the flame kernel) and longevity (platinum alloy wear resistance). IK-TT's have 0.4mm wire diameter.
DEN4701_b.jpg

If you went Denso, it would be the IK16, IK16-TT, or SK16R11 (0.7mm wire with standard electrode with platinum disc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
OEM.

+1 Considering it is a Toyota it is probably Denso of NGK anyways. Pull a plug out and buy just that. This is one of the few items where I say go OEM every time.

Can't go wrong with the OEM-spec NGK or Denso. You're not going to juice out any more performance out of a 2AZ-FE/2AR-FE.

Denso or NGK. Denso is the best choice but rather pricy. NGK is a great alternative that will give you no trouble. Use whatever type of plug the vehicle originally called for... if it came with platinum stick with that, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back