2014 TSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! That one is high on price. You know the price is up there when Carmax has a 2014 Acura TSX with 36k miles and a price of $16,995 with new tires. Versus $19500 with 43k miles. So about $2500 more. The one you list is certified but is an off lease car. Not all oil changes shown on Carfax. So not dealer serviced.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14775894

That body style has been out a while, since 2010 or so. So maybe go older with low miles and get a lower price. I'm thinking around 15k or so.

Last edited:
Take a look at the cargurus website. It does a good job of analyzing the price of a car to tell you if its a deal or not.

And you can search for your make/model and filter out only great deals, etc.

My mother just bought a chevy and my brother a ford suv using that site and its worked out well.

I found my hyundai on there at a remote dealer in rural texas.

You also have take the condition into consideration. A low mileage car can be totally trashed,while a higher mileage car can be pristine.

Thanks for your input Guys!

I really like this combination of colors inside out; the dealer have 4 of TSX and this one is most expensive that may tell me it is in better condition then the rest; also they offer lifetime drivetrain warranty;

I work with finances so I'll check on my place of work tomorrow its retail value as well as carfax

I was also wondering about its reliability, what are the strengths or weakness of this model perhaps?

While not the same car but a long stretch, I had a 2008 Civic Si. At the time the Si Had the K20, or the 2.0 VTEC engine (vs the TSX 2.4). The later Civic Si had the same engine as the TSX, the 2.4. I briefly considered getting on when they came out (or a TSX).

The car will be very reliable. Sure the old "hondas live forever" thing is out there, but the K20 and K24 motors are very reliable. In one form or another the K24 powered many vehicles so parts are all over. Specifically the Element, CRV, and Accord. Of course there are some differences with the TSX engine. I believe the variable timing was on the intake and exhaust sides VS maybe just the intake side. This gave it around 30-40 extra horsepower and that sweet sweet VTEC sound and engagement.

Now, heres a bit of a rub with the TSX. While a torque'ier' motor than the K20, it still likes to REV. So the issue comes in the form of the transmission. The 5 speed auto and its gearing makes the TSX feel sluggish. It still has the "manual" option for shifting, but its still not enough to get the most of the 2.4L. I'm not an automatic "hater" by any means, but the pairing just doesn't feel right IMO with this car.

That said, it will still be fun, and very reliable. If you like everything else about the car a manual, or a TSX V6 may be a better bet.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
While not the same car but a long stretch, I had a 2008 Civic Si. At the time the Si Had the K20, or the 2.0 VTEC engine (vs the TSX 2.4). The later Civic Si had the same engine as the TSX, the 2.4. I briefly considered getting on when they came out (or a TSX).

The car will be very reliable. Sure the old "hondas live forever" thing is out there, but the K20 and K24 motors are very reliable. In one form or another the K24 powered many vehicles so parts are all over. Specifically the Element, CRV, and Accord. Of course there are some differences with the TSX engine. I believe the variable timing was on the intake and exhaust sides VS maybe just the intake side. This gave it around 30-40 extra horsepower and that sweet sweet VTEC sound and engagement.

Now, heres a bit of a rub with the TSX. While a torque'ier' motor than the K20, it still likes to REV. So the issue comes in the form of the transmission. The 5 speed auto and its gearing makes the TSX feel sluggish. It still has the "manual" option for shifting, but its still not enough to get the most of the 2.4L. I'm not an automatic "hater" by any means, but the pairing just doesn't feel right IMO with this car.

That said, it will still be fun, and very reliable. If you like everything else about the car a manual, or a TSX V6 may be a better bet.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
You also have take the condition into consideration. A low mileage car can be totally trashed,while a higher mileage car can be pristine.

Look at the seat bottom driver side bolster on both cars. The low mileage car seems to have way more wear than the OP's choice. Either someone very heavy was driving the lower mileage car or something doesn't add up.

Last edited:
Yes NADA retail values it at 16.8K

I am still waiting on CarFax report though...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Look at the seat bottom driver side bolster on both cars. The low mileage car seems to have way more wear than the OP's choice. Either someone very heavy was driving the lower mileage car or something doesn't add up.

I'm guessing LOTS of short trip city driving. What you mentioned (bolster wear) will make me run from a potential purchase. Also look at the pedals,steering wheel,and shifter. A short tripper will all have wear on these parts. I looked specifically at these parts when I bought my Accord,and all are pristine and showroom fresh,so my car was obviously a highway cruiser.

Ok, here is the long story short

Finally I got NADA retail value for the car and it is $16.8k, I checked the finance department too and I can get it for 1.99% 5 year loan for the vehicle; I went to another bank to check the price too; they would loan $15.5 for it;
The carfax report shoves no accident, two lien reports, perhaps one owner, and no service track for its 43k miles

Now I went to the dealship, test drove it and negotiated price; their lowest price is $18.2k and after the taxes and fees it would be $21k; I tried to play a low ball but didn't me it; the manager said we don't play here; LOL ; then I've said, you're in the business is screwing people around LOL

Moral of the story, it is easier and cheaper option to fix your old vhiecle then run for another one....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back