Wagner TQ's getting sqeaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did a full brake job about 25k miles ago incluidng pads, rotors, appropriate hardware and cleaning/regreasing pins with MC silicone grease. At that time I used Wagner TQ ceramic pads with AAP Frontline rotors. So far everything is pretty much great. Wearing well, smooth and powerful brakes. Mostly quiet, too! In fact, up until about this summer they were dead silent. What I have noticed in the last couple thousand miles is the first few moments of brake usage is that they will squeal or squeak. Seems to stop after a few moments of brake use and doesn't come back.

My concern is that its due to operating temp and may become more common when the weather turns. I've heard some reviews of the TQ's complain about noise. Until now mine were perfect. Any thoughts on easy fixes? Brakes are strong and smooth with no noises under heavy braking. Or light braking. Just when starting out first thing. BTW, this is on my F150.

Noise was my main complaint with TQ pads. Ended up selling the car so it wasn't my problem anymore.

You could try bedding the pads in again, or roughing them up with sandpaper to remove any glazing.

Last edited:
I've used probably half dozen sets of the TQs and have never heard a peep out of any of them. I'd take the pad off and inspect for grit or other foreign material stuck in the pad(s).

Ran TQ on two of my personal trucks. Never again. Tried resurfacing the rotors, lubing back of pads and using an aggressive break-in procedure and it didn't do anything to resolve the noise issue. Sounded like I was driving an old POS so I had to pad slap on cheap pads until I get the funds to install new rotors and Toyota OEM pads.

I believe Wagner TQ's have very specific instructions on what to and what to not lube. The instructions came in the box with mine. I don't believe you are supposed to grease the backs of the pads.

I've had issues with squeaky brakes so I've been trying to pinpoint what causes it and how to prevent. From what I've learned, the squeaking comes from vibrations, often caused by dirty/corroded contact surfaces on or near the pads. I use a wire wheel now to aggressively clean the contact surfaces of:

Inner side of rotor where it meets the hub
Hub surface
Outer side of rotor where it meets the wheel
Wheel surface that meets the rotor
Brake caliper piston mating surface
Brake caliper "fingers" where they contact the outer pad
Brake pad sliding surfaces
Under the brake pad abutment clips (if included)

I have seen shops follow these practices with good results.

I have also heard that some anti-seize on inner and outer surface of the rotor can help. Be very careful to make the position of the rotor in relation to the hub so you can install it in the same position or else this can result in the vibration. I also know that there are products that get sprayed on the back of the pads to help glue them to the calipers to prevent the vibration.

Thermoloud
laugh.gif

TQs do work for most cars out there - but they are far from a conventional brake pad. The molded IMI insulators don't make good contact with the caliper piston. Once the piston imprints on the insulators and cuts into them, you got noise via vibration.

A common Wagner issue is that the backing plates don't match with OEM dimensions. Noticed that on two cars that seen Wagner pads, strangely enough a friend's Subaru with TQs is braking just fine - the pads were off dimensionally from the OEM ones and that application used glued on shims instead of the IMI insulators.

If AAP/Carquest has a lifetime warranty on these, take them back. If not, might be time to try a new pad.

I just finished installing Wagner OEx's on the rear axle on my Silverado replacing the Wagner Thermolouds (along with new rotors, parking brake shoes.) The OEX's uses a riveted DUAL backing plate design similar to Toyota OEM pads. Hopefully with these new pads Federal Mogul can discontinue the TQ line knowing IMI does not work and a tried and true shim design always works.

pOqwxSr.jpg

Last edited:
I installed a set of TQ's exactly according to instructions on my Corolla. Then cleaned and lubed my Corolla's ThermoQuiets when they started squeaking after 17K miles, and again after another 32K miles. Lubed the usual spots and the back, just like they recommend not doing. Currently at 58K on them, and doing great.

Apparently the TQ backing hype is a total fail, but they're still good pads in every other respect.

Of course I check runout and parallelism on all my rotors, you may not have as good results if you don't.

Had the identical situation on my grandparent's Trailblazer. Used Wagner TQ pads a few years ago and it literally sounded like a school bus stopping this summer. I took the pads off and they still had 2/3 pad left! Took them into O'Reillys and they swapped them out no problem, nice and quiet now.

Wagner have been garbage in my experience. Akebono are the best pads for the money, for the everyday driver, IMHO. And they are made in the good ol' USA

Just did all the pads and rotors on the family Enclave. 120K miles/ 5 years on the OEM factory pads and rotors (Akebono - pads, AC Delco - rotors.) Fronts still had about 10% and rears had about 30%. I figure we'll have gotten rid of the vehicle before the pads and rotors need replacement, again.

I recommend swapping the Wagners out for the Akebona Pro ACT. Buy once; cry once

Last edited:
Put TQ's with AAP Wearever front rotors on a Tacoma 3+ years ago. The TQ's living up to their name. No issues, very low dust.

Have Akebono ProAct on Hondas maintained, also no issues and very low dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back