Can ps fluid eat through a gallon jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silly question, I know...

It's time I switched out the power steering fluid on my jeep. It's been the most neglected and I feel bad for allowing it to go this long. I don't plan on flushing the whole system, just using a turkey baster method and getting as much out of the reservoir as I can. Going to be using Valvoline PS fluid since it's the only one I can find that actually states it meets MS5931 spec. I didn't think there could be much difference between PS fluid and ATF+4 but if Chrysler says so then I'd rather just go with what is spec'd.

Anyway onto the question:
I don't have any other left over empty bottles (like oil bottles etc) but I do have an empty gallon milk/water jug. I just need to hold the power steering fluid until I get it recycled which will be done ASAP. Will the jug be fine?

Thank you

If gallong jug is ambiguous:
b703d65c-a695-48b8-9a36-e50315ea0a95_1.179418d9e21d3351506a1fa5f6e0e668.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
I would just use the PS fluid from Mopar. Had trouble with the Valvoline ps in my 04 grand Cherokee.

From researching, The traditional Mopar PowerSteering Fluid was discontinued and they only have Mopar PowerSteering Fluid +4 available.

Could use the moo jug for temporary and pour it back into the power steering jug you used. I don't think its going to eat through in 30 minutes or so

Keep the jug out of the sunlight. They will bio-degrade. I would use the turkey baster to empty the pump reservoir so I could remove the return line and plug the gazinta without making a mess. Then collect the return in the jug as you pour the fluid of your choice into the system.

Yep, for the WJ, you need to use the amber colored MS5931 PSF. Don't be tempted to throw ATF+4 in it.

The Carquest PSF meets the Chrysler spec too if that's easier to find than the Valvoline. I think at the time, the Oreilly-brand fluid met the spec too. Someone mistyped the Chrysler spec on the AAP product page and it hasn't been fixed in half a decade. I used almost one quart after disconnecting the return hose and draining the reservoir and then dry steer from end to end with the wheels off the ground and engine off. No problems or leaks after two years now with the CQ fluid. With your baster way, it might replace maybe 1/4 quart unless you do it multiple times.

If in doubt about the jug's long-term degradability, you can always pour the new fluid into the jug first when you're doing the work and use the emptied oil bottle to collect the waste...

Thanks everyone! I'm doing the turkey baster method and every couple weeks I'm just gonna keep doing it until I use up the whole quart of PSF. Got 1/4 quart out today. Will take out another quart next week.

The jug won't be stored long and always stays cool in the garage where sun doesn't hit.

Last edited:
You'll be fine if you move quickly. I've had more leakers from milk jugs than oil jugs that's for sure, but I am not sure if it was the oil eating through the plastic (obviously not oil rated like an oil jug) or a crack in the seam. Milk jugs I get rid of right away now as in I make a special trip that weekend. Oil jugs not quite as urgent as in next convenience when I'm thinking about it.

You are doing good by not adding ATF. I want to say the later model TJ's required ATF+4. I am not sure on anything newer. Meanwhile, I've read reports of the +4 making the systems scream and the MS5931 making systems scream. Some WJ era Chrysler systems required the +4 which just added to the confusion. I've had Oreilly brand and Valvoline PSF in my Jeep for years now. Issue free aside from a slow high pressure line leak. Probably wouldn't have happened if I used +4...
whistle.gif

*I am glad my truck's PS system can use both ATF and PSF. Being able to use 1 fluid is nice..

Last edited:
Milk jugs are unreliable for long term use, even with water. The clear one gallon juice bottles are great.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Milk jugs are unreliable for long term use, even with water. The clear one gallon juice bottles are great.

Not for long term use. Recycling it today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back