Overseeding an established lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to overseed an established lawn? Rent a slice seeder from a rental place?

What about the coated grass seeds? Given the coating, can one just spread them one the ground and expect them to grow.

if you are talking about over seeding with winter rye, you can mow it down short, sow your seed with a broad cast spreader (like the old whirly bird (i think my age is showing)). some people use manure on it, some a topper or mulch with a starter fertilizer. I used to do the later because I usually got more weeds with manure. as for the coated seeds, I'd still use a topper or mulch over it.

Last edited:
I highly recommend core areating first. As soon as you areate then spread the seed. Wait as long as you can after that to mow. This gives the seed time to settle in the holes as well as the cores will start to break down and cover some seed that isn't in the hole. Make sure it gets watered if possible. After 2-3 weeks you should fertilize with a starter fertilizer. I've done this a few times with fabulous results.

The coating just helps with water retention, the seed needs good soil contact to germinate properly and not die out immediately.

You need to first dethatch and aerate.

You can put the seeds down with a spreader. Also do a soil test and fertilize as needed.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: Oli20
I highly recommend core areating first. As soon as you areate then spread the seed. Wait as long as you can after that to mow. This gives the seed time to settle in the holes as well as the cores will start to break down and cover some seed that isn't in the hole. Make sure it gets watered if possible. After 2-3 weeks you should fertilize with a starter fertilizer. I've done this a few times with fabulous results.

The coating just helps with water retention, the seed needs good soil contact to germinate properly and not die out immediately.

I have seen some products you tow behind a tractor that are like a wide drop spreader with rows of aerator teeth.

Then there are the power slit seeders you can rent.

You would need to do the following. Cut grass short, spread thin layer of compost or earth (compost is best). You will only need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch spread across your land and follow up by hand spreading the seed. After that gently rake it together so the seed mixes with the soil. This ensures good seed to soil contact. You can then follow directions on a starter fertilizer. If you have a large surface area you can go the slit seeder route. I follow the above way and it works well for me.

Not sure what type of grass you use in CO, I would only add to all the previously mentioned good advice is to get a ph test on your soil from your county ag dept. This will determine if you need to put out lime and at what rate per 1000 sq. feet.

Soil test is a good idea just to determine the acidity level and if your soil is lacking certain nutrients. If you want to skip that I would first clean up any thatch on the yard, lay a few bags of lime, starter fertilizer and rent a slice seeder and dump seed on it. Watering is the most crucial part of this. Also, it might not look like Augusta in a month but if you continue this process you will have a great lawn in a few seasons.

I have been doing this for 4 of 5 past years and it's really helped my lawn.

#1. Fall only. It's the only season grass seed has a chance.
#2. Aerate first. Leave the plugs on the grass. They will eventually break down and fill the holes back in and you will have some nicely deep rooted new grass.
#3. Choose the right seed for sun exposure. If you have mature trees or any other shade, forget about bluegrass.
#4. Apply seed 2x recommended coverage rate.
#5. Water immediately to get germination started asap. Gives a big headstart on getting established.
#6. Fertilize after the new grass is established.
#7. Repeat next year, this is not a 'one-and-done' deal.

What about the coated seed? Can that deal with my lack of ability to water my lawn? Not enough water in the well and do not want to chance it? Good for household use or washing a car. But not to leave a hose on for many hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
What about the coated seed? Can that deal with my lack of ability to water my lawn? Not enough water in the well and do not want to chance it? Good for household use or washing a car. But not to leave a hose on for many hours.

I would slice and use a drop spreader(if available) to apply the seed. You will have better success by prepping the surface and not just applying seed to lay on the hard ground surface.The coated seed will help retain some moisture. Follow up with a starter fertizer. All you have to do is maintain surface moisture, you don't need to water for hours.You want a blend of different varieties. On large bare spots only, cover the seed with straw but don't overdo it.You can deal with the weeds next season. You want to plan your schedule so that you can mow it 2-3 times before winter to harden it off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back