Can I use MMO every fillup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Lucas UCL for a while now, but I see that I can save about 8 bucks a gallon if I buy MMO (23 bucks for UCL and 15 for MMO). Will there be any negative effects from using it in the fuel primarily? I used UCL everyfill up with no issues. Can I expect the same with MMO?

How often do you use it in the oil? Will there be any switching effects from going from UCL to MMO?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
How often do you use it in the oil? Will there be any switching effects from going from UCL to MMO?

What effects do you see now that might be affected?

1 or 2 oz in the small engine gas can

Same for 2cycle.

And 1 oz per gallon 1 time a year when we take a long highway trip.

Everything i own loves it

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What effects do you see now that might be affected?

I actually get a 1-2 mpg increase. But I guess what I like is that Lucas is mainly a UCL vs MMO that actually has solvents. Im just a little OCD thinking that adding extra solvents every fillup will cause issues.

As many of us know, anything you add to gasoline will, to some extent, end up in the oil. Products that partially or entirely evaporate are not much problem, for obvious reasons. However, if over an Oil Change Interval, one adds a few quarts of MMO to the gas, a more than negligible portion of that will end up in the oil. How much depends on the engine, the ring sealing, the quantity added and the OCI length. I'm not sure partially burned and contaminated MMO does wonders for the oil.

I will admit, my 2003 Jaguar X-Type runs significantly smoother "if" I add MMO to the gas. I was having trouble with a rough idle, added some MMO and absolutely noticed the difference in MPG and smoothness. However, it did not fix my rough idle, which was due, at least in part, to a vacuum leak.

I've been using Lucas UCL for a while now, but I see that I can save about 8 bucks a gallon if I buy MMO (23 bucks for UCL and 15 for MMO). Will there be any negative effects from using it in the fuel primarily? I used UCL everyfill up with no issues. Can I expect the same with MMO?

You can save even more money by not using it. Many people here don't use any additives and are also fine. Got over 200k out of my last car, never any additives. The transmission finally died, no issues with the fuel system even using cheap gas stations. Used my savings on a Mercedes.

I been adding seafoam mainly and some other products to clean carbon on pistons for past several months, seems like my oil goes down a bit faster? Does this stuff dilute the oil? its everytime i fill up.

Last edited:
To be honest I would just use top tier fuel. MMO is old school and something I wouldn't really use outside of small machines.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I been adding seafoam mainly and some other products to clean carbon on pistons for past several months, seems like my oil goes down a bit faster? Does this stuff dilute the oil? its everytime i fill up.

I would guess yes.

I own a Cessna aircraft, powered by a Lycoming engine. I use 100LL Avgas. The engine currently has 550 hours since overhaul. Upon propeller removal, I am amazed by the incredible amount of lead deposits in the crankshaft to prop area. If anyone ever had the idea that oil is not contaminated by the fuel, the POUND of lead I removed clearly says otherwise. Sure, most of the fuel is burned. But some percentage coats the cylinder walls and is carried into the oil.

The use of any fuel additive will contaminate the oil, period.

My advice: Use the highest quality fuel, use a quality name brand oil, change regularly. Solves many problems. In some engines, synthetics are necessary (such as Toyota sludge and piston ring issues) . Also, the oil change is the only way the contaminates are removed. Quite simply, many oils remain in grade over a long period of time. But contaminates continue to accumulate.

Last edited:
I have been using syns for a along time, but had carbon on piston heads, clean top end and valves, but just the piston crown. ill see hat happens when I just add it before an oil change versus every week.

thanks

Originally Posted By: Cujet
As many of us know, anything you add to gasoline will, to some extent, end up in the oil. Products that partially or entirely evaporate are not much problem, for obvious reasons. However, if over an Oil Change Interval, one adds a few quarts of MMO to the gas, a more than negligible portion of that will end up in the oil. How much depends on the engine, the ring sealing, the quantity added and the OCI length. I'm not sure partially burned and contaminated MMO does wonders for the oil.

I will admit, my 2003 Jaguar X-Type runs significantly smoother "if" I add MMO to the gas. I was having trouble with a rough idle, added some MMO and absolutely noticed the difference in MPG and smoothness. However, it did not fix my rough idle, which was due, at least in part, to a vacuum leak.

What you're saying is correct. Though with or without an additive the some of the percentage of the unburnt fuel will find its way into the oil too, maybe even a bit more w/o a UCL. The UCL might provide a better ring seal, as reported by some who claim their engine is running smoother and quieter with the additive in the gas. Fuel by itself has no lubricating properties at all. Fuel with a UCL will have a bit more lubricating properties, especially TCW3 which a fair amount of people are using. MMO is a lubricant as well, not as good as TCW3 though. If the fuel does flash off 100% and the small amount of UCL remains behind in the oil then the oil level could very well rise during the OCI.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Why would you want to ?

Upper cylinder lubrication. Valve guide lubrication on port fuel injected engines and carbureted engines. Electric fuel pump lubrication. Gentle, long term cleaning...... There is really no such thing as a dry upper cylinder cold start with MMO or 2 cycle oil added to fuel.
Gasoline today is extremely "dry" compared to gasoline decades ago. There is precious little lubricity to gasoline even for devices designed to be "lubricated" by gasoline like fuel pump rotors, etc. Your upper cylinder might get lubricated by the upper compression ring on your piston but it definitely doesn't get much and upper cylinder wear is still pretty common. I don't see a downside to adding a little 2 cycle oil or MMO to every tank.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Why would you want to ?

Upper cylinder lubrication. Valve guide lubrication on port fuel injected engines and carbureted engines. Electric fuel pump lubrication. Gentle, long term cleaning...... There is really no such thing as a dry upper cylinder cold start with MMO or 2 cycle oil added to fuel.
Gasoline today is extremely "dry" compared to gasoline decades ago. There is precious little lubricity to gasoline even for devices designed to be "lubricated" by gasoline like fuel pump rotors, etc. Your upper cylinder might get lubricated by the upper compression ring on your piston but it definitely doesn't get much and upper cylinder wear is still pretty common. I don't see a downside to adding a little 2 cycle oil or MMO to every tank.

This is my exact reasoning to use UCL's
smile.gif

I think I may try some MMO once I finish this last little bit of Lucas. It's about 8 dollars cheaper than Lucas. The main thing I was worried about was it having more solvents than Lucas. I didn't know if there were ill effects of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back