Truck Loading Ramps - Rental or a DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to pick up a sport bike and planning to rent a truck.

Hence need loading ramps. Should I make then with 2x4's? Or any other creative(cheap) ideas?

Is there a place which can rent those for one time use?

Thanks for all the help
smile.gif

Isn't it called Home Depot? Some 2x10 or 2x12 or whatever you need. Keep the receipt and return within 90 days...

If you have something or can borrow something that can tow it, the UHaul motorcycle trailer would make this much easier.
It's $24.95 a day. What will a ramp cost you?

Thanks very much guys, I have a Civic and have no problem towing a U-Haul trailer. But I don't have a tow hitch installed on it
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Isn't it called Home Depot? Some 2x10 or 2x12 or whatever you need. Keep the receipt and return within 90 days...
Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

You can probably pick up some ends designed for a 2x10 at Home depot as well, they make it much easier. I don’t think drilled 2x10s will be returnable. (Not that I’d advocate returning used 2x10s anyway.

Got any steep banks at the pick up and drop off locations, that works too if you can find one the truck will back uo to.

Sport bikes frequently have clearance issues with short ramps too.

Last edited:
If you're going to be renting a truck anyway, just rent a 15 foot Uhaul. They have a built in ramp. This is the second smallest size, the 10 foot truck doesn't have a ramp. These are only $29.95 plus mileage.

They charge by mileage and it's almost 180 miles RT to get the bike and this things will cost me a fortune!

Get some help? Generally two people can load a bike, 3 would be better. The third doesn't need to be strong, just guide and support the front end after it is lifted on to the truck.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
They charge by mileage and it's almost 180 miles RT to get the bike and this things will cost me a fortune!

Do you have a rental place in your area that doesn't charge mileage? With the exception of the pickups you can rent hourly from Home Depot, I've never seen rental place that doesn't charge mileage, whether it's a pickup or a full size moving truck.

I've always pushed or rode the bike up an incline, backed the truck up to that incline, and pushed the bike, on the ramp (I made one 8 feet long) onto the bed.

The one time I loaded with the same ramp from a level location, I caught the back of the fender and bent the struts (Big Twin FLH). Probably would have worked fine with a bobbed fender. You generally catch the bottom of the frame on the bike as well in that transfer point where the ramp meets the tailgate or truck bed if you drop the tailgate, but it can be manhandled up and the frame itself protects everything from damage.

You have to watch that the ramp doesn't move off the truck bed or tailgate, that can happen and you don't want that kind of disaster. Might mean a trip to the hospital and a cast, or worse.

I also built a motorcycle work stand, I think it is 24" tall, out of 2x4's and a sheet of plywood, 4x8. That worked great with the 8 foot ramps, and although it was heavy and needed two people to move, you could place the work stand in a suitable location, use the ramp to move the bike on the stand, and then once again (like using the incline) moved the truck in place, using the ramp, move the bike from the work stand to the truck bed.

Probably not a solution for you unless you want to work on the bike in your shop at a comfortable height, but if so, worth considering building one. I have to say it was over-engineered in a Caveman sort of way; if I was to do it again I'd make it lighter, as it doesn't have to be as heavy as I built it to support 800 or so pounds. Maybe use ripped 2x4s (2x2's) instead, for example.

The Home Depot solution, using 2x10's or 2x12's (floor joists) that are more than 8 feet long can work, but it's a narrow perch unless you use four or more side by side. I've used two twelve footers, and there were no disasters, but it's pretty narrow.

Most portable ramps and planks are very narrow and dangerous for heavier bikes.

If you live near an industrial district or grain elevator near a railroad spur, you will often find old earthen or concrete ramps you can back the truck right up to.

Unless you can back the truck up into a fairly steep incline, and load the bike from the top of the hill, you'll need a fairly wide ramp. Your boards will need to have metal ramp ends attached at one end in order to sit securely on the edge of your truck's tailgate. I use a pair of 10ft 2x12s, and a pair of 10ft 2x10s laid out next to each other on my truck's tailgate. My old BMW touring bike weighs 550lbs, and would probably snap in half whichever board its wheels go up, unless there was more integrity to the structure. To provide that structure, I've bolted eight pieces of 1-1/2" 90-degree angle iron (2 on each board), aligned across the bottom side of the four boards, so that I can slide a 4ft length of 5/8" steel rod through the aligned pieces of angle iron in 2 places along the bottom side of the boards. The rods essentially tie all 4 boards together, and distribute the weight of the motorcycle and me (the assembled ramp is wide enough to ride the motorcycle, and be able to put my feet down) across all 4 boards. The lumber, ramp ends, and steel rods will cost somewhat less than a factory-made aluminum ramp set, and are a cumbersome storage issue, even when quickly broken back down into pieces until their next use, but they make one-man loading of my motorcycle into my pickup truck, a pretty safe and do-able task. You only need to see a couple of the "motorcyle loading fail" videos to get a sense of the expensive downsides (literally) to cutting corners on your loading operation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
Get some help? Generally two people can load a bike, 3 would be better. The third doesn't need to be strong, just guide and support the front end after it is lifted on to the truck.

Yeah we are going to be 2 and 3rd one will be a seller, but that still that seems a bit
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Ride it home..
Tires are not in safe condition. Believe it, I have always rode it, never towed it.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Originally Posted By: Bambam
Ride it home..
Tires are not in safe condition. Believe it, I have always rode it, never towed it.

Bring new tires with you and schedule an apt. at the local bike shop, then ride it home. Took a long trip out west with a rear tire with only a few thousand miles left. I duct taped a new tire on top of my rear luggage rack and had a shop out in Colorado shoe it on when I got out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back