Jeep JK 3.5L valve clatter stopped with Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Folks:

Several months ago my son bought a new 2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon. It's a nice machine.

One thing he's noticed is that the 3.6 liter V6 has some fairly severe valve lifter clatter on startup (I typo'd 3.5 liter in subject line, unable to correct). It's done it since the day he bought it. This clatter only last a few seconds, presumably until oil pressure builds. It doesn't do it with every start. It never clatters with a hot motor that was recently shut off. It clatters with "cold starts", about 80% to 90% of the time. Overnight/outside temperature doesn't seem to matter. Cold starts where he lives can be 60 degree overnight "lows", so nothing extreme. But it will still clatter with a "cold start" 80% to 90% of the time.

This is a well known problem with this engine. See this link. His Rubicon sounds exactly like this one. EXACTLY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMVNZXZJpFY&feature=youtu.be

The engine calls for 5W-20. He changed the factory fill at 1,500 miles with Mobil 1 5W-20 and used an OEM oil filter (a canister type element).

My son I were talking about this one evening and I suggested he try Redline 5W-20. My logic was that the polar nature of Redline's polyolester formulation might do a better job of keeping oil in the lifters (if that's even the problem). Using Redline, he changed the oil at 5K miles and once again used an OEM filter.

This is his daily driver and since putting Redline 5W-20 in two weeks ago the valve clatter has disappeared! The clatter is 100% gone but there still seems to be some kind mechanical noise in the valve train during a "cold start". The remaining mechanical noise it subtle enough that most people wouldn't notice it. The only reason we hear it is because we are listening for it.

Neither of us has any association or ties to Redline Oil, nor do we have an axe to grind against Mobil 1. As I said, this is a well known issue with this motor.

My question to you folks is this - why do you think Redline "fixed" the noise?

Cheers,

Scott and Jim

HTHS
smile.gif

Sounds like he got a motor that does not like Mobil1. I always listen for valve noise on cold start. If an oil does that, it gets changed. There are a lot of oils that are quieter than Mobil1 in some motors.

M1 is known as a "noisy" oil for some reason. I just take it to mean that the fluid chemistry and a particular engine topology are not all that happy.

Synthetics in general seem to have a lower surface tension than many dino oils. So they drain off if left to sit. Less standing capillary fill. That does not mean no oil, it just means less cold start film. The lower surface tension is one way they get the wider dual ratings with synthetics.

So say switching from M1 to Pennz conventional will often quite things down. I'm surprised the Redline did this, but it is a stout oil. Excellent product. If your son can afford it, carry on
laugh.gif

If it become too expensive for his tastes, maybe a premium dino/syn blend will get same results ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
High Moly. Fixes the issue on the Hemi engines as well.

I've heard Schaeffers oil will do the same, must be what's in the add pack.

I have a Jeep with the 4.0 that ticks so I am very tuned to listening to these sort of things. My brother bought a new 2016 JK with the same engine that makes zero noise whatsoever. I am guessing the FF is some sort of SOPUS brew so I would suggest giving PYB, Pennzoil syn, or PP a try. People get nearly 10k out of PYB with these engines and the PYB 5w20 is a blend anyways..

M1 does have a reputation for causing some engines to be a bit noisy. Plus, it does not carry the Chrysler MS-6395 approval. You are certain it behaved this way before dumping the FF and adding the M1? I would personally try other oils before settling on something so $$$.

As for the reason why, some engines are just quieter or louder on certain oils. Any naysayers likely haven't experienced it. Nevertheless, it is great you found something that worked for you.

On a side note, I wish they allowed you to go up in weight for warranty purposes if used for towing, offroading etc.

You may want to give Castrol Magnatec a try many people report it seems to quiet noisy motors.

The Redline is a much thicker viscosity than the M1 so it quieted the bad lifter. The redline didn't "fix" anything it's just masking the bad lifter noise. 02.

Gentlemen, thanks for all your input. It's good oil nerd stuff. Anyway, for whatever reason(s) the valve clattered has been "eliminated", Redline seems to have "fixed it".

Consider this topic a collective FWIW,

Scott

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
You may want to give Castrol Magnatec a try many people report it seems to quiet noisy motors.

+1. And it's cheap on Amazon

Folks:

I just spoke with my son 5 minutes ago. He has not driven his Jeep since Monday morning. He did a cold start late Thursday afternoon. That's 4 days. No valve train clatter. To quote him, he is "convinced" that Redline is somehow suppressing the cold start valve train clatter.

We offer this as nothing more than anecdotal evidence from two honest guys. FWIW.

Scott and Jim

That's good to hear. Some of the answers here mimic answers on another thread. I'm guessing it's a combination of high dose moly plus HTHS and the viscosity. Redline oils run thick for their grade.

I am somewhat surprised at the issues of Fiat (FCA) with upper end noise on their engines. I wonder if there is any connection?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The Redline is a much thicker viscosity than the M1 so it quieted the bad lifter. The redline didn't "fix" anything it's just masking the bad lifter noise. 02.

+1. My son has a Jeep and it doesn't clatter on M1 5-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back