Nissan FF; 2600 mi; Infinity Q50

Status
Not open for further replies.
smile.gif

I have a new Q 50 infiniti. Infiniti says to change the oil at 10,000 miles. this is a twin turbo, direct inject engine, so I changed it at 2600 miles.

the silicon and metals were high, "normal from wear in" but the insolubles were low, meaning oil filter worked. there was no way I would wait 10,000 miles!
iron was 41 instead of average 31
copper was 104 instead of 20
molybdenum was 616 instead of 172
silicon was 188 instead of 51
insoluble were 0.1%, should be less than 0.6%. good.
can anyone offer any further insight into these numbers? blackstone said to try 4500 miles next time.
best regards! bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new car. I've had a VQ engine in the fleet since 2006 and have tried every variety of synthetic 5w-30 out there with no noticeable difference. It will be a great car for years to come!

All of what you are seeing can be attributed to engine break-in. Iron from the steel parts, copper from your turbo intercoolers, silicon from sealants. There is nothing abnormal or worth worrying about.

The numbers will come down over time. If you are going to take a UOA at the next oil change, just look for downward trends as everything gets washed out.

I'd keep a closer eye at the fuel dilution, being DI and TT.

Congrats on the new ride!

Sounds pretty normal for a factory fill to me.

Higher iron is from cylinder walls conforming to piston rings, which is desirable and normal.

Copper is likely from an oil cooler, is normal and should decrease with time.

Molybdenum is probably from assembly lubes that wash into the engine oil on first start-up.

Silicon is from sealers applied at the factory. Again, these will decrease with time.

great! that is a great explanation! how many miles should I let this oil go? it was mobil one full synthetic.

have a great day!
bob
19.gif

Danh summed it up. Do another UOA at about 20K miles and you should see the iron, copper, and silicon come down. Moly will be dependent upon the oil you use.

Use the best oil available for a valuable engine like that. Mobil1 has their Annual Protection oil, and Castrol Edge has their gold jug Extended Performance. Fram Ultra oil filters filter great and last up to 20,000 miles, so a great choice there. ..... Then you can be more sure there is plenty of margin in your 10,000 mile oil change intervals.
It should have a dashboard light which tracks oil conditions (most other makes I know do anyway; not sure about Nissan/Infiniti). When you change the oil, you have to tell the engine computer you did it. When you changed at 2600 miles, did you reset the engine computer's oil life monitor algorithm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back