What does Audi use for brake caliper pin grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what kind of grease Audi uses on their caliper pins? I know I can just get silicone paste grease, but would like to know what they actually use.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
VW and Audi do not grease their caliper guide pins at all.

I don't agree, based on my experience with VAG products. From where do you get this information?

I use ATE brand brake lube on the slider pins and on the lip of piston seal to prevent sticking as I wind back the parking brake adjuster.

Originally Posted By: RobM
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
VW and Audi do not grease their caliper guide pins at all.

That's interesting. Dry lube?

If it is the same as BMW then there is no lube at all, dry pins in the rubber sheath. At least on my old BMW per the MM.

Lithium grease...well thats interesting...

So they are are using different typ of rubber on pins and for dust boots?

Last edited:
Like many of those lubes, it is a little ambiguous whether it is intended to be used on caliper slide pins or not. At least that's the way I read it.

You are always better off following what the maintenance manual for your vehicle says rather than what it may or may not say on a tube of lubricant. I never like working on any vehicle without the FSM for this and other reasons.

What is the design of the pins and boots? My Asian vehicles which specify a pin lubricant in the FSM are the short type that only protect the exposed portion of the pin that extends out from the pad carrier. The portion of the pin that is within the carrier bore is going into a bare metal socket. On the BMW however, it is a full-length boot where it extends the entire length of the carrier bore (but interestingly the exposed portion of the pin has no boot protection). If you did grease this type of pin then the grease would be exposed to the environment unlike the design on my Asian cars. BMW compensates by giving the pins a heavy plating (looks like chrome or nickel) as opposed to the relatively light plating on the other ones.

What does rust on the BMW is the carrier bore hole in contact with the outside of the boot. That tends to compress the diameter of the hole and over time can cause the pins to stick. You need to make sure you pull the boots out of the carrier and clean up the carrier bore so it isn't reduced in diameter because of rust.

BMW brake pin boots:
812WE3BM6hL._SX355_.jpg

Asian brake pin boots:
caliper-pin-boots-300x187.jpg

The above images are for my old cars, I don't know if it is the same for newer ones.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Like many of those lubes, it is a little ambiguous whether it is intended to be used on caliper slide pins or not. At least that's the way I read it.

You are always better off following what the maintenance manual for your vehicle says rather than what it may or may not say on a tube of lubricant. I never like working on any vehicle without the FSM for this and other reasons.

What is the design of the pins and boots? My Asian vehicles which specify a pin lubricant in the FSM are the short type that only protect the exposed portion of the pin that extends out from the pad carrier. The portion of the pin that is within the carrier bore is going into a bare metal socket. On the BMW however, it is a full-length boot where it extends the entire length of the carrier bore (but interestingly the exposed portion of the pin has no boot protection). If you did grease this type of pin then the grease would be exposed to the environment unlike the design on my Asian cars. BMW compensates by giving the pins a heavy plating (looks like chrome or nickel) as opposed to the relatively light plating on the other ones.

What does rust on the BMW is the carrier bore hole in contact with the outside of the boot. That tends to compress the diameter of the hole and over time can cause the pins to stick. You need to make sure you pull the boots out of the carrier and clean up the carrier bore so it isn't reduced in diameter because of rust.

BMW brake pin boots:
812WE3BM6hL._SX355_.jpg

Asian brake pin boots:

The above images are for my old cars, I don't know if it is the same for newer ones.

Those are the same type of boots VW/Audi uses, like the BMW ones.

If one purchased Tyrolsport metal guide bushings, they need to be greased annually per their instructions, especially the older ones that don't have a dust seal in the back.

BMW brake pin boots:
812WE3BM6hL._SX355_.jpg

Asian brake pin boots:

Interesting as my E30 318i had what you classify as "Asian" boots for its calipers...

I need to look at the monster calipers on my 135i...

I have always lubed the brake pins on my VW/Audi cars...green grease works and I confirmed with the manufacturer it is safe with rubber or plastic parts..seems to work just fine.

In the Bentley for my Audi Cabriolet it indicates:

4 - Brake pad carrier with guide pins and protective cap
Replacement part supplied assembled with sufficient grease on guide pins

Install repair kit if protective caps are damaged

Use grease included with kit to grease guide pins

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting as my E30 318i had what you classify as "Asian" boots for its calipers...

And I have to apologize, I was confused about where the pin boots are on my BMW. I kept saying they are located in the pad carrier, but it is actually in the caliper. After I wrote that I started doubting it and sure enough I had it wrong. The principle is the same however.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I have always lubed the brake pins on my VW/Audi cars...green grease works and I confirmed with the manufacturer it is safe with rubber or plastic parts..seems to work just fine.

In the Bentley for my Audi Cabriolet it indicates:

4 - Brake pad carrier with guide pins and protective cap
Replacement part supplied assembled with sufficient grease on guide pins

Install repair kit if protective caps are damaged

Use grease included with kit to grease guide pins

Thank you sir.

BMW brake pin boots:
812WE3BM6hL._SX355_.jpg

Asian brake pin boots:

Last time when I refurbished my fathers Hyundai i30 breakes....all the seals and dust boots were for BMW 7 series car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Last time when I refurbished my fathers Hyundai i30 breakes....all the seals and dust boots were for BMW 7 series car
smile.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if ATE supplied both cars, the Koreans either licensed Bosch and Conti(ATE) patents or had them supply certain parts.

The Japanese favor soap thickened glycol greases, the Americans default on silicone grease and the Germans seem to be mum, but ATE says their Plastilube is OK on rubber parts. I say a little bit of it won't hurt.

http://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/ate-plastilube-75-ml

Last edited:
NEVER use ATE plastilube on rubber parts!!!! NEVER

That is the reason why I changed all the seals ( dust boots and rubber on sliding pins....because seller said plastilube is OK for rubber

And I didnt buy OEM BMW 7 brake parts......they were aftermarket ones.....but the same as for BMW 7

Now I am using this!

1161688.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
NEVER use ATE plastilube on rubber parts!!!! NEVER

That is the reason why I changed all the seals ( dust boots and rubber on sliding pins....because seller said plastilube is OK for rubber

As Jules would say, "correctamundo!"

The tube I have includes a warning on the back -- "Never apply to friction surfaces of the brake disc or pads, nor to rubber parts"

The instructions have always referenced applications to areas like backing plates, piston heads, and pad ear contact areas -- all in the name to prevent squeal -- not as lubrication for the rubber parts.

ATE makes a separate brake assembly paste for parts like rubber piston seals when rebuilding calipers.

http://www.ate-info.de/en/details/produkte/ate-bremszylinder-paste-180-ml

It's confusing because ATE presents conflicting information itself, by stating Plastilube "is compatible with all metals and most O-ring materials" on its website, but then feeling the need to put a rubber warning on the tube (which older packaging has lacked).

It forces users to read between the lines, and unfortunately, the product to be mismarketed as suitable for a general rebuild grease, when it's not rubber safe, and against its intended usage. The fact that the brake cylinder assembly paste isn't distributed in the U.S. also encourages Plastilube's misuse.

The safest course is to consult the FSM. I know for certain that BMW specifies dry pins, which causes as much head scratching as dry plug threads, and no tire rotations, but while one may debate the reasoning, there is no ambiguity about their position.

If one feels the need to go against those recommendations, then a proven rubber safe grease like Dow Molykote 111 or something like Sil-Glide is in order.

Your E30 was probably an older one with the Girling calipers, which do have the accordion-style boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back