[Cut Open] Fram Ultra XG7317 Exposed! (5000 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran this filter 5000 miles in my 2011 WRX. This is an "oversized" filter for the application. I was looking for whether heat from the nearby exhaust components could be "coking" the oil.

I cut it open with tin snips.

UOA is also posted over in that section.

Previously, this car has had oil changes at the recommended 7,500-mile intervals. I'm re-thinking that after reading a well-respected Subaru mechanic in the Seattle area's claims that the newer Subaru oil filter is too small to operate that long. I am now running the Fram Ultra, and want to make sure it stays free-flowing since the bypass pressure is lighter than Subaru spec.

I'm trying to push finishing out the last 3000 miles of my OCI on the Toyota so I can finally experience the Ultra. Does that make me a filter geek? Hmmm

Looks good. I use a Fram Ultra 3593A on my 2011 Outback 3.6R and a 9688 on my old 1999 Outback Sport 2.2. Never an issue with either and they both kept the oil noticeably cleaner than std paper filters.

You gotta remember that the bypass spec is a function, a ratio, of the restriction of the filter media vs the pressure spec of the bypass valve. The valve in Subaru's is set so high because oil pressure runs higher than what is normal for most cars. But, again, the Fram Ultra has significantly less restriction to flow in the filter media itself, so it doesn't need a rock-hard spring to keep the oil from flowing around the media like paper media requires in order to keep from being in continual bypass. I spoke with Fram on the phone and this is what they explained to me...and it makes sense. Never an issue with either Subaru...and I ran RT6 in the 99 2.2.

The fix is to use larger than std filters (the XG 9688 was an upsized filter, IIRC....same thread pattern and gasket diameter as the 7317), and/or switch to fully syn media which flows far better. I chose to do both and it's been working fantastically.

If you're worried about the temps of the oil in the filter, you could wrap the filter in that cheap gold heat-reflective tape you find on eBay. One inch x 15ft rolls of that can be had for $4 shipped if you look. That would bounce some of the radiant heat back out of the filter. It would be a cheap experiment, indeed, and wouldn't hurt anything.

Good info.
I've thought about trying that insulating tape they sell for exhaust components or fashioning a fin on my skid plate to divert air past the oil filter, but I don't see any signs of a problem so I wouldn't know what improvements to look for. I'll probably just run the over-sized filter in winter and the OEM size in summer.

Originally Posted By: MountainTortoise
Good info.
I've thought about trying that insulating tape they sell for exhaust components or fashioning a fin on my skid plate to divert air past the oil filter, but I don't see any signs of a problem so I wouldn't know what improvements to look for. I'll probably just run the over-sized filter in winter and the OEM size in summer.

Sounds like a good plan. I have an IR thermometer that I use to monitor temps on my filters. Chances are, it's not as hot as you think once the air around the car gets moving around.

Originally Posted By: BufordTJustice
You gotta remember that the bypass spec is a function, a ratio, of the restriction of the filter media vs the pressure spec of the bypass valve. The valve in Subaru's is set so high because oil pressure runs higher than what is normal for most cars. But, again, the Fram Ultra has significantly less restriction to flow in the filter media itself, so it doesn't need a rock-hard spring to keep the oil from flowing around the media like paper media requires in order to keep from being in continual bypass. I spoke with Fram on the phone and this is what they explained to me...and it makes sense.

It's not really the oil pressure being high but the very high flow rate from the oil pump on Subarus. Been lots of threads about this over the years.

You can have low oil pressure and a high pump flow rate and still have a big delta-p across the filter. It's the oil flow rate, oil viscosity and the filter's flow resistance that determines the delta-p across the filter.

Subaru filters must be pretty flow restrictive compared to something like the Ultra if Subaru is using such a high bypass valve setting. And/or they might also just set it high to ensure bypass events are a rare occasion, especially when the oil is cold and thick.

I thought Fram made a filter for Subarus with a somewhat higher bypass setting like some other aftermarket suppliers - not sure, but doesn't sound like it.

I made a heat shield for my oil filter out of a hose clamp and a curved piece of SS. It covered 2/3s of the filter.

oil-filter-shield-and-chain-2.jpg

Originally Posted By: MountainTortoise
a well-respected Subaru mechanic in the Seattle area's claims that the newer Subaru oil filter is too small to operate that long.

I'll bet he has NO evidence to back up that "claim".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back