KINDA dreading today .. gotta use the DEALERSHIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, wish me luck. Because if the dealership messes this up it will cost me up to $2k.

I have some work I can't do on my own due to tools but mostly due to a recent surgery recovery.

My pinion seal is leaking on the 9.25 Dodge corporate rearend on my 2005 Ram 1500. She runs fine with no noise, has new fluid changes.... just has a leak from age apparently. I am already acutely aware that if a guy doesn't really read the specs or pay attention to achieving a preload of 25in. Lbs without over crushing the already used condition crush sleeve inside.....that younwill have a messed up pinion in a certain mileage and find yourself back at the shop debating with them whether that noise was there before or after their hands were on it. But to add to that there was a recall P77 issued and performed to install a pinion nut retaining ring and set screws.

So they not only have actually pay attention to a careful preload recovery after replacing the pinion nut seal but they also have to properly reapply the recall procedure including a careful process of rightening the set screws at 5in.lbs increments to 45in. Lbs.

I am rural and the local shops don't have the corporate access or know how to offer me a viable alternative to the dealership shop.
I am acutely aware of dealerships in general (but NOT all) "lack of quality" despite having direct access to the exact special seevice tools, exact instructions on computer etc. But I am stuck with the dealer on this one. I obviously have not shared any of this concern at the dealership. One can anticipate the knee jerk gut reaction to the vehicle owner expressing something to the effect "Hey guys can you really watch the procedure/specs on this one." Such a thing would be taken as "what the F does he think he knows" followed by a little bit of rough behavior on the gas pedal during testing phase of job wrap-up.

So wish me luck, hopefully I get a guy who reads the bulletins and doesn't subscribe to the "good n' tight" church of impact wrench.

Good luck my friend. Maybe you could buddy up with the service manager and ask general questions so that he'll know that you know what's to be expected.

This is foreign to me as I haven't had to deal with that. Not being anal but I would type up your concerns on paper and leave
it with the service advisor on what you are after and what you expect and your concerns in a polite manner with all contact info. No excuses then. Save a copy for yourself!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Good luck my friend. Maybe you could buddy up with the service manager and ask general questions so that he'll know that you know what's to be expected.

Thanks for the best wishes, I have been careful to appear somewhat knowledgeable (such as about the recall and sensitivity of torque preloads) but kept my aire of "innocent customer who isnt a know it all" despite actually knowing all that needs to be done correctly.

Psychology is an interesting thing isn't it. There are some real "know it alls" who don't actually have accurate information and are loudmouth tuner ricer morons. But when someone comes in who is actually "knowledgeable" people tend to have a knee jerk reaction of low self esteem and insecurity. Funny life isn't it?

To bad there are not 4x4 custom shops around you. They deal with axle swaps and upgrades all the time and could knock this out with ease.

To satisfy yourself, type-up a List of your concerns.

Nothing wrong with doing this, it's your vehicle.
Keep the List simple and to the point.

Discuss all your concerns with the Service Writer and possible the Mechanic that's going to do the work.
Your not telling them how to do the work, only your concerns.

Have your Concerns added to the bill.

I hate to have anybody do work for me.
Although, some times you have to trust the Professionals.

Let us know how it works out.

Bring them donuts and ask for the best man on the job. Nagging any more will be counterproductive. More flies with sugar than vinegar...

If you keep adding lubricant , you might be able to stretch out the time period until you recover from surgery .

I changed out the pinion seal on a 1991 Caprice 5.0l . Seems to be OK , no problems yet .

Used a 1/2" Harbor Freight electric impact to remove the pinion nut .

Used an appropriate size 3/4" drive socket ( for a seal driver ) & large ball peen hammer to install the seal .

Used a 24" HF 1/2" break over bar to re-tighten the nut .

There were 2 sizes of seals listed for this , at O'Reilly Auto Parts . I purchased both & took back for credit , the one I did not use .

Best of luck , :)

print out the procedure and highlight the important points and give it to them at dropoff.

every modern mechanic should know how to read and follow instructions and shouldn't take offense if you give them a hard copy printout especially if it's an official service procedure. they just want ro knock out the job.

if its a diy that someone on forums wrote, yea maybe theyll jusy throw that away.

Last edited:
We always had repetitive "Dealers stink" threads here on BITOG.

Now we have "I hope my dealer doesn't stink" threads.

I am going to start a "I hope the sun comes out tomorrow thread" to give me something to worry about.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
What did the dealer quote for this work?

The OP stated he doesn't have any other options. So what does it matter?

It will be too much to everybody on here anyway.

Odds are it will be fine. They won't have the oil changer replacing your pinion seal. Assuming it's a Chrysler dealer, the tech doing the work has probably done this plenty of times before on very similar trucks. If they are supplying the parts, you should get at least a one year warranty on the whole job.

If the leak is just a damp appearance around the seal, you may want to consider just monitoring it for now. If it's a drip or really wet looking it does need to be replaced.

"Hey man, I'm not really a nitpicky type of guy, but I normally don't let anyone else touch my truck. I'm here for this pinion seal because I'm recovering from surgery. Can you make sure this gets assigned to the same guy who you choose for your personal vehicle, even if he isn't the first guy available?"

Then go about your merry way
cheers3.gif

UPDATE: she is at the shop

Dropped her off. So far I'm resting easy knowing that a tech they refer to as "Shorty" is working on it. He is about the calmest guy I have ever meet. Not sluggish, just seems to chug allong. The service guy had him come up as shoot the breeze for a second. I admitted that with my recovery and the fact it has a special recall eccentric type nut and set screws to address the pinion nut recall... that I'd prefer to not mess myself of a $2500 rear end.

They were amiable. So now we find out if there are any mechanical surprises lurking and if they really look at the details of tightening things in 5inch lb increments to 45 inch lb which the Dodge literature says is simply essential not to screw up and have a pinion lockup the rear end ar highway speed. No way I'll know really until she does or doesn't become a comeback on a flatbed.

Hi ... my name is Sump... and I have trust issues.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Thank you for the update. So far so good. Do you know when it should be finished?
They say 2 hour job but I have no hurry. So maybe 4:30 central time. Done to soon and I know that estimates were use rather than all the instructions which icluded some pre/post comparison measurements of rotational torque preload. I may ask in passing "Hey how'd the preload dial out as?"

I dont know how long an bearing overload would take to show up as noisy worn bearings so I don't really know when to "declare myself in the clear". I'd suppose a year?

I really didn't want to deal with it but letting her leak and then someday really puke out unbeknownst to me would have been a bad option also. lol

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Thank you for the update. So far so good. Do you know when it should be finished?

Well she's done!

So he didnt changed the rear diff gear oil. That was done a year ago. Still I woulda thought they would. So he changed the pinion seal with the fluid in there and topped off the few ounces that spilled forward past the removed oild pinion seal.

I asked about if it torqued to the 210ft lbs and yielded a good preload rotational value. He basically had no clue other than YUP. When Actually the book says clearly it should be 16inch lbs, or near that and should be 5inch lbs above the value measured before work begins.

They could not reuse the special pinion nut retainer ring from the recall performed a year ago. So they want to charge me a half hour labor on that.

So I guess I just drive it and assume that the calues were all in tolerance and the pinion won't ruind the bearings.

In other pleasant news the truck had the Takata airbag recall and they yankd the dash apart for that, breaking the footwell/sill plate black plasric piece. That is now on order.

He didn't tell me they were going to do that.

So .... dealership quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the rear pinion seal replaced on my 05 Durango with the 9.25 many moons ago...probably back in 2008 or 2009. Just out of warranty, my dealer did it and never had an issue.

The more I think about it the more I realize that the tech did a backyard "yank n stuff er in" job. He said he had to air chisel off the old (year ago) recall pinion nut retainer (a thin eccentric "nut" of sorts. Air chisel?! In and on the pinion nut and pinion shaft? Air chisseling? Cripes I should mever gone to a dealer. The book procedure is meeningless these days folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back