Delvac 1300 Super 15w40 Cornfused

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fresh jug of CK-4
I have used it many times but I found something that is a bit confusing.
I always assumed it was basic conventional HDEO in this exact product. Basic 1300 Super
Mobil notes this in their description online.................... Screen capture below.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
This is a fresh jug of CK-4
I have used it many times but I found something that is a bit confusing.
I always assumed it was basic conventional HDEO in this exact product. Basic 1300 Super
Mobil notes this in their description online.................... Screen capture below.

That may be a generic label. Does your bottle say 15W-40 on it? If so, then that's what it is.

That screen capture is their online description of the exact product I have.
Yes I have the 15w40 flavor and it does not say semi or FS anywhere on the bottle at all.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Delo claims 50 percent wear reduction over cj4. Not sure I believe it though.

Yes I have that too but I'm wondering if the 1300 basic grade is now synthetic- grade 3 HC ????

The term that I should have noted was "severely hydro processed"

What difference does it make??

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Delo claims 50 percent wear reduction over cj4. Not sure I believe it though.

Yes I have that too but I'm wondering if the 1300 basic grade is now synthetic- grade 3 HC ????

The term that I should have noted was "severely hydro processed"

Group II base stocks are also sometimes severely hydroprocessed. API 1509 Appendix E doesn't specify how the base stock is obtained, only the properties.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Group II base stocks are also sometimes severely hydroprocessed. API 1509 Appendix E doesn't specify how the base stock is obtained, only the properties.

Thanks!

Is your question based on the 50% claim ?
That claim would be consistent with the analysis that I have done on my Duramax, the OLM is at 0% around 10,000 miles and every time I have sampled it the oil has been considered still serviceable.
I was told years ago (by a Mobil lube engineer) that Delvac 1300 was engineered to offer protection beyond normal change intervals. I think that's more along the line of what they are trying to say.

Originally Posted By: 64bawagon
Is your question based on the 50% claim ?
That claim would be consistent with the analysis that I have done on my Duramax, the OLM is at 0% around 10,000 miles and every time I have sampled it the oil has been considered still serviceable.
I was told years ago (by a Mobil lube engineer) that Delvac 1300 was engineered to offer protection beyond normal change intervals. I think that's more along the line of what they are trying to say.

No but that did come up earlier. What I was getting at was if this is now considered a semi synthetic or FS oil and not conventional.

In my desired application it would matter. For the average Joe most likely not.

Please elaborate. Are you saying that one fully formulated motor oil that meets the same specification as another will fail in this application because of the Group designation of the base stock?

Thanks!

Also note that what is specified are the properties of the base stock (and only those specific properties given in API 1509 Appendix E), not the properties of the finished oil. The two are no doubt related, but that's not the purpose of the Grade designations given in API 1509 Appendix E.

The engine maker wants only conventional oil for a 50 hr break in schedule and the manual does not want any additives used or
ss or fs motor oils to be used. Now the factory fill and oil filter are to be replaced at the first 5 hrs. After 50 hrs you can use what you want as long as you stay in their recommend grade for your area.

The engine maker wants only conventional oil for a 50 hr break in schedule and the manual does not want any additives used or ss or fs motor oils to be used. Now the factory fill and oil filter are to be replaced at the first 5 hrs. After 50 hrs you can use what you want as long as you stay in their recommend grade for your area.

One would guess that it refers to a PAO based synthetic, I'm not sure how these days you would be able to avoid a hydroprocessed base stock in any quality oil.

The engine maker wants only conventional oil for a 50 hr break in schedule and the manual does not want any additives used or ss or fs motor oils to be used. Now the factory fill and oil filter are to be replaced at the first 5 hrs. After 50 hrs you can use what you want as long as you stay in their recommend grade for your area.

One would guess that it refers to a PAO based synthetic, I'm not sure how these days you would be able to avoid a hydroprocessed base stock in any quality oil.

That is exactly what I was thinking unless you dug up some really old oil. Thanks!

Mobil has always had some strange wording in some of their HDEO blurbs online, on labels, and on boxes, with occasional references to synthetic and blend for the same product, references to other viscosities, and references to orphaned specifications.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Mobil has always had some strange wording in some of their HDEO blurbs online, on labels, and on boxes, with occasional references to synthetic and blend for the same product, references to other viscosities, and references to orphaned specifications.

Thanks. I noticed Delo switched around some wording too when CK-4 came out.

I should make a scrapbook of Mobil's little blunders, gluing in pieces of bulk boxes showing wording that contradicts data sheets, data sheets talking about high performance gasoline engine use for a CK-4 only oil, bottle labels that list bizarre specs that clearly don't apply....
wink.gif

XOM did plant upgrades to produce more GII+ for higher spec (conventional) PCMO/HDEO. I'm running Delvac 1300 in my 5.3L - last I knew the NOACK was lower than T6 / HTHS is higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back