Mobil 1 AFE 0w20, Honda Pilot 2016, 3465 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another UOA for my wife's Pilot. The car is mostly driven with tons of short trips and stop and go traffic. I'd say average speed om this fill was like 25-30mph and had around 130motor hours. There was 500mi round trip on this fill.
It looks like the oil sheared quite a bit and vis reading low. Wear numbers look good to me except for copper - too high or looks normal? TBN is unexpectedly low, I wish they tested it for acid number to have a better idea. OLM was reading 30% at the time I dumped the oil and I think I did the right move. Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

With only 10K miles on the engine, the copper could be washing out from an oil cooler (if one exists) or could simply be break-in metals still expelling themselves. 3.x on TBN is not low enough to raise a caution flag, depletion is not linear, but you were getting towards the end of the oil life. Without knowing what the TAN is for virgin oil, a TAN test would be a "starting point" for trending. Overall, I think you are "OK".

I'd love to give 0w30 a try but the car is under warranty for another 4 years so I don't feel like taking a chance...

I've searched for K24 5W30 uoa's but haven't found any. Shell Australia's lube match says to use 5W40 in the K24.

Iron and copper wear are still breaking-in.
Oil in good serviceable condition, OCI could be extended to 6-10K I suppose.

I don't think I'd be able to go that far. Perhaps 5K tops. It appears that oil sheared a good bit and viscosity is a little too low to my taste. Same with the TBN. I'm pretty sure if it was tested for TAN it would be close or cross TBN. which is no bueno...thanks for the feedback and consideration.

Interesting not a very flattering UOA but if I understand the mileage is still low.
I am surprised though, its a Honda and 6 quart capacity.

This mornings thoughts. I cant help to wonder if the oil was labeled "Super Tech" instead of Mobile 1 would the comments be the same or would they trash the oil? :eek:)

Everything looks great to me for a new engine breaking in. There's probably a little fuel dilution in that low KV - that should get better as the rings seal. I think the rings break in faster on semi-synthetic and on a new engine I'd wait until after 20k to switch to full synthetic - but many will disagree. In spite of the low KV, wear #'s are still great - and that's what counts. TBN is fine - you can go longer on the next OCI, even with the idle time.

Thanks for posting this UOA. I have been very curious about this since we have a 17 Pilot EX-L that is a mostly a short tripper and an occasional longer trip vehicle as well.

So it went from 8.7 to 7.2 @ 100C, but the fuel %
I've got M1EP 0W-20 in mine now and will be running a UOA when I dump it which might be early after reading this. If it shears like this, I might go 50/50 with some M1 AFE 0W-30 I have in my stash to help it out. Or maybe Honda is expecting this to shear down below a 20?

First of all I'm glad you found this post useful.

Secondly, both recent UOA I got for Polaris for my civic and pilot don't make too much sense to me. On my Civic they came up with more than 5% dilution by volume and there's was no change on the dipstick. At oil. If fuel substitutes oil and the volume remains the same, how does the excess disappears? Getting burned off? Severe blow by? Very unlikely since I'm running a catch can and there's very little collected in there.

Thirdly, Pilot situation doesn't make too much sense to me either. Viscosity dropped at about the same rate as in Civic, but there's now fuel found. Oil sheared that much? Not sure. But both oils had no gas odor to it. Just normal oil smell.

The good news is that wear metals look fine even with fuel dilution. The remedy is to change oil more frequently (say 5K OCI) and I should be ok. Direct injection and turbo is definitely something Honda engineering needs to work on.

I'll keep me eyes opened for your UOA!

Did you notice that on this UOA it says for Fuel dilution % volume 5 - GC? It looks like they didn't actually test the sample from your Pilot for Fuel dilution but did test the sample from your Civic.

You are absolutely right and haven't really paid attention to it. I've emailed them asking if it was measured.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
Thanks for posting this UOA. I have been very curious about this since we have a 17 Pilot EX-L that is a mostly a short tripper and an occasional longer trip vehicle as well.

So it went from 8.7 to 7.2 @ 100C, but the fuel %
I've got M1EP 0W-20 in mine now and will be running a UOA when I dump it which might be early after reading this. If it shears like this, I might go 50/50 with some M1 AFE 0W-30 I have in my stash to help it out. Or maybe Honda is expecting this to shear down below a 20?

If the viscosity looks OK Polaris (aka Oil Analyzers) will "estimate" fuel dilution at 5%. So from "all''s well" to "panic time".

After that experience, when sending in a sample I always say fuel dilution is my major concern so please use GC even if viscosity looks acceptable.

Last edited:
That is very interesting info, thanks for sharing. Well, to me viscosity this time around looks pretty low, shouldn't it raise the flag? it dropped from 8.6 down 7.2 just in 3500mi. Strange, looks like Polaris no better than Blackstone.

also, I'm surprised they don't measure water and coolant if present. Can coolant be indentified by any of the elements?

Folks, I had OiL Analyzers re-test the sample and here's what they came up with:

They also re-tested my Turbo Civic oil sample and with more than 5% fuel first time this time around they found ....0.4!!!!

Does this make any sense to you all?

Wow, thats not good to have that much variance. Maybe they should start using gas chromatography in all of their tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back