Audi owners, what brand & type oil are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm new here and recently bought a 2014 A4 with 35000 miles on it. I plan to do my own oil changes when the time comes. I saw that Mobil 1 is running a rebate, so I picked up a 5 quart jug of 0w-40 for the next oil change. I was just curious as to what others are using. Thanks.

Rob

Wife's q5 has Audi Care, so dealer does all oil changes and they use Castrol 5w40. If I was doing them myself, I would use Castrol 0w40.

I alternate between German Castrol and Mobile 1 on my 2014 Audi S8 and my wife's 2011 S5. Depends on the promotions and availability. I loaded up on Castrol last December at AutoZone, and my M1 stock grows each time there is a rebate. Any oil that meets the VW 502 spec will work fine.

I have a 2007 A6 3.2 and use Mobil 1 0w40 for the last 120,000 miles with no issue

Mobil1 or Castrol both available at Walmart or Autozone

Just look for the VW oil standard on the bottle, I believe yours is VW 502 00

Originally Posted By: RobM
Hi everyone, I'm new here and recently bought a 2014 A4 with 35000 miles on it. I plan to do my own oil changes when the time comes. I saw that Mobil 1 is running a rebate, so I picked up a 5 quart jug of 0w-40 for the next oil change. I was just curious as to what others are using. Thanks.

Rob

I ran Pennzoil in both my VW's (2005 & 2013) My local Wal-Mart stocks Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 for $23 a 5 quart jug. I like Pennzoil line and use them almost exclusively. If I could find it I would also recommend Valvoline 0W-40. Just my .02

Run whichever oil is the cheapest and easiest to obtain that carries the specification required by your owner's manual. Make sure it actually has the specification however.

No one on here will ever be able to show a material difference between two oils that meet the same specification.

Just curious, is Castrol what Audi ships their cars with?

Mine says Castrol on the oil filler cap so my guess is that's what they tie their cars to.

Service fill is Castrol, but I don't think we know for sure what the factory fill is. I've seen some speculations, but no hard evidence.

All 4 of mine get a steady diet of Castrol 0w40 and Mann filters running 8-10k km intervals 97 A4 1.8T quattro, 2 02 A4 1.8t quattro and 01 S4 2.7t. I've done 1 interval on the 97 with Motomaster Euro formula 0w40 and I didn't notice a difference, only bought it because it was on sale and Castrol wasn't and didn't want to pay $55 for a 5L jug of Castrol. I will probably run the Motomaster stuff again if I run out of Castrol.

M1 0w40
Castrol 0w40
Pennzoil Euro 0w40
Valvoline 0w40

They should all carry your vw502 approval. I prefer M1 or Pennzoil because of their frequent rebates.

Rob

Perfect. It's a stout oil, but I would get whichever of the 502-approved oils are on sale at the time of your change. They're all pretty good.

This is totally wrong, but we have an '08 beetle with the 2.5l Audi engine in it. It leaks so much oil that I can't get through a change interval without a couple extra quarts. I'm to the point where I buy 2Gal jugs of SuperTech 15w40 to keep it full without going broke. At this point, if they engine fails because I'm not using VW/Audi oil, I don't even care. It would be one less [censored] car that I need to worry about lol.

Back with my 08 Passat with the Audi designed EA113 engine, after the factory warranty ended, I used Shell Rotella T6 or Chevron Delo 400LE, which ever was cheaper.

Current car, with the Audi designed 1st gen Ea888 engine, when the factory warranty ends, I'll be stocking up on Renewable Lubes Biosyn 5w40 Low emmisions (SAPS).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back