How often should an AC compressor cycle on and off

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2012 Honda Accord V6 AC compressor was cycling on and off every 6 seconds which seemed like a lot but blew ice cold air. I had it in to the dealer for some maintenance and had them check it out. They said it was low on freon and recharged the system. Now it cycles exactly every 6 seconds and then every 14 seconds. Does this sound normal? The dealer service advisor couldn't tell me exactly how often it should cycle on and off. Also how often should the AC on a 1997 GMC Sierra with the Vortec 350 V8 cycle on and off? Thanks!

If the refrigerant is charged per spec and it's putting out good cold air, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Depending on the design of the AC system, and the cabin and anbient temperature as well as the AC setpoint temperature, all those variables will have an effect on the duty cycle of the compressor. So it could vary quite a bit, especially when it's trying to get to a steady state temperature of operation.

*Is this something that your Accord is doing now or has it done this before?
*Does your Accord have "Climate Control HVAC System", as compared to the more simple On/Off HVAC system?

I have noticed that with "Climate Control", the A/C does seem(IMO) to cycle On & Off more frequently than a basic system. However, I don't know if it's just me noticing this, or just the vehicles that I have owned that are doing this.

This doesn't seem out of line to me unless your car didn't do this prior.

Last edited:
Just a thought, Colorado is pretty high, maybe at lower elevations it would cycle in a different pattern?. I don't know, maybe thinner air means the condensor can't dissipate heat so well?.

Claud

Sounds normal. I know mine cycles on and off more frequently when in recirc mode. Like on 6 seconds off 6 seconds.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Depends on moisture in the air....that's how AC's work.

I was going to say, isnt CO high and dry (lol)?

It sounds short to me, but if the conditions are right, it may be a couple control systems fighting each other.

This is a semi-mechanical system, not a dual zone digital control, right?

Depends on how much load is needed from the AC and the type of system. Some cars don't have clutched AC compressors and use a variable displacement system or a metering valve to adjust how much refrigerant is being compressed. On some cars - mostly the older Lexus LS400s and older GM cars(way before I was born) use EPR/POA valves and the compressor will always run as long as the AC is on.

I do notice automatic HVAC does cycle the compressor more, in most of those systems a photoelectric cell is feeding the HVAC control how much solar load is in the cabin(with the interior temp sensor).

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen! Mine seems to behave the same way no matter how I have the system turned on. Recirc, Synced to both sides or any of the other settings. I honestly can't remember how it ran when new but I thought it cycles only a few times a minute but I'm probably wrong. Dealer just did a recharge saying it was low and they tested the system and checked for leaks but all was good to go they said so I'm happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back