Question on Honda brake fluid condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Accord EXL V6 73,000 total miles. I have been flushing my brake fluid at the dealer every 3 or so years and 36-40K miles. When it is new it is a nice clear amber color and after a year or so it gets super cloudy and almost like it has chunks in the master cylinder. I just had it flushed again by the dealer for $70 and it is much cleaner but still a bit cloudy. Is this anything to be concerned about? How does your brake fluid look? Thanks!

The only way to make the fluid in the reservoir look super clear is to suck it all out and refill before performing the flush. Otherwise the new fluid is mixing with the old during the service and it would take forever until the reservoir looked totally clean.

They likely just attached the power bleeder and performed the fluid exchange.

Don't worry about it. The fluid in the calipers and wheel cylinders (if you have drum brakes) is what matters.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
It is 4 wheel disc all the way around. Does that make any difference? Thank you!

Doesn't matter. The point is, the fluid in the reservoir doesn't get subjected to any stressors besides the potential for moisture contamination.

The fluid in the actual brake components is subjected to your nuclear hot brakes, which causes the fluid to deteriorate. Moisture also causes deterioration of the fluid boiling point and possible corrosion of components.

I would recommend going to two years, like the rest of the industry. My'12 Accord was done by the dealer only half way, the front portion of,the reservoir was clear but the back half cloudy. My guess is they just sucked out what they could and just refilled without cracking a bleeder.

My '14 Accord was under 10k miles when I got it and the fluid at the 3-year mark was nasty. Cloudy with chunks, like you said. I changed it then traded it in shortly after.

Are you sure you are getting a full flush? I read few times that a lot of dealers just siphon out the reservoir, refill and call it a flush.

I don't recall having a cloudy looking brake fluid in my cars, even after 3-4 years. It usually has a darker color, like a black tea, but it's clear.

As far as the fluid in the reservoir , buy a $ 2 turkey baster at Walmart & suck all that you can from the reservoir . Fill with new fluid . Go drive it .

Repeat as many times as you wish .

But , I do not call this a flush .

Last edited:
You have a leak on the MS reservoir lid? That is just under the windscreen base were water might get at it. Check you underhood water management at the HVAC air inlet screens; You might have organic material blocking water drainage.

No cloudy fluid ever seen (ex maybe in a slave hanging out in the slush).

Recall DOT 3 fluid is hygroscopic.

Originally Posted By: Olas
From the reservoir to the nipple, at all four corners.

Yes, this. The gravity bleed went very well on my G37. I never believed it could work before, and regret a lot of wasted years doing things the hard way now.
smile.gif

Appreciate the help gentleman! So would any amount of "cloudy" fluid mean the fluid is bad or "worn out"? I flushed out the last time 2 years ago and it was very cloudy but still amber in color. Can brakes worked great still.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
DOT 3 or DOT 4
In my Honda? I'll have to check the owners book when I get back to the car. Not sure off the top of my head.

Cloudiness in the fluid is NOT there in the bottle, only in the car. This shows the fluid is being contaminated after being poured into your reservoir. Contaminated fluid should always be drained and replaced with fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back