Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, 2011 WRX, 5000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was Wrexy’s first UOA. Mine too.
In the first 80,000 miles, oil changes were at the recommended 7,500 mile intervals, at the dealership, using Subaru Oil, or Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum provided by me, and using the Subaru filter.

102,000 miles on the car. The engine is stock.
5000 miles on the oil. The final miles were on a quick round-trip to California, pulling 6-percent-plus grades at 75 mph in 104-degrees heat, with the air conditioning maxed.

Oil filter was a Fram Ultra XG7317. I will post pictures of the filter in that section.

I was interested in:
1. Signs of wear from the hot operation.
2. Is there “shearing” or fuel contamination of the oil?
3. The oil filter is longer than the specified one and there have been some concerns about “coking” of the oil due to close proximity of the filter to hot exhaust.

Oil that went in is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 10W30. I’m thinking of comparing the shearing results, duplicating the driving conditions as best I can. Filter that went in is a Fram Ultra XG6607.

I was expecting to get fuel-dilution results. It was my reason for going to this tester. They don’t appear to have done this test and I’m disappointed.

Somewhat new to analyzing, but the viscosity @ 100 was 10.0 and the range is 9.3-12.49; that indicates it stayed in grade. I looked at Pennzoil's site and their pdf shows 10.3 when the oil is new. Also, TBN at 5.5 indicates life left in the oil. Will let others correct if I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
Somewhat new to analyzing, but the viscosity @ 100 was 10.0 and the range is 9.3-12.49; that indicates it stayed in grade. I looked at Pennzoil's site and their pdf shows 10.3 when the oil is new. Also, TBN at 5.5 indicates life left in the oil. Will let others correct if I am wrong.

+1
Rather impress with the minimal viscosity thinning from VII shearing and/or fuel dilution.
Great wear rates,oil in serviceable condition.
OCI could easily be extended to 7500 miles and beyond, including current PUP 10W30.

Looks great. I'd definitely consider stretching that interval with that low wear and high tbn number. Especially since there was no make up oil according to the report.

Did they muff the sump capacity on the report or do you really only put 4qts in it? Mine takes 5

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton

+1
Rather impress with the minimal viscosity thinning from VII shearing and/or fuel dilution.
Great wear rates,oil in serviceable condition.
OCI could easily be extended to 7500 miles and beyond, including current PUP 10W30.

Being that it's a 10w30, I'm not surprised that there was minimal VII shearing. I'm also not surprised
that it retained the TBN so well as it was 5K with a lot of highway miles.
I agree that this oil could have went much further...probably 10K at a minimum (with this type of usage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back