Follow Inside Door Plaque Tire Pressure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you follow the inside door plaque for OEM vehicle recomended tire pressure - or do you prefer to go a little over by a few pounds ?

I go a little over. I like the slightly firmer ride, and notionally it gives better load capacity and fuel economy.

Ive never had issues with longevity, our tires age out with 50k+ on them and plenty of tread.

Typically OEM reccomendations for tire pressure are for most comfortable ride - I usually go about 4 lbs. over when tires are cold .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Do you follow the inside door plaque for OEM vehicle recomended tire pressure - or do you prefer to go a little over by a few pounds ?

Yes, because this is something that's thoroughly tested. The OEMs don't just pull a number out of their [censored]. Being off by 1 or 2 psi is fine, but I wouldn't intentionally over or underinflate -- big safety risk.

Many manufacturers actually have a matrix on those plaques in case you will be running with a full load and/or an alternate snow tire.

Yes-No. The Ford dually is a strange bird. The fronts I run what they say but the rears they suggest 45? Local tire shop said no way if your mostly hauling a 5th wheel so close to the sidewall of 80.
Everything else is at or now with falling temps a couple over. The vehicle that showed the most issue with not following guide was the Chevy HHR. If over, the center would wear, if low the mileage would take a beating

Last edited:
It all depends on what you are doing ... Plain old street driving with OEM sized tires - yeah sure follow the door decal.

Going off road with oversized tires, low pressure. Going rock crawling, over pressure.

I either do the exact amount or a little over. I found more than 2 PSI over makes the ride too harsh (although I get great mileage). Lower than what they recommend makes my mileage plummet. What they recommend seems to be the best compromise between harshness and mileage.

For some reason my dad insists on keeping the tires on Mom's Taurus at 38psi. Door placard says 32. If it gets below 35 (she does have 1 SLOOW leaker) he says it "steers like a log wagon"

I keep my same year sable at 35, and it drives just fine....

Last edited:
I run one or two pounds over recommended pressure. Check in morning before vehicle is driven and top off. When on a trip freeway driving add about 3 pounds over making sure not that I exceed the max cold pressure warning on the side of the tire.

3-5 psi over so I don't have to check them as frequently. When I had all 4 tires leaking around the rotting rims on my last daily driver, I put them 8 psi over and still had to refill them every few weeks around 28 psi.

Overinflating the recommended pressure on the front on my wife's Elantra makes the car wander and kind of skittish on the highway. Correct pressure and the car just tracks nice and true without any input.

My SLK just rides and handles nicer with the recommended pressures.

Never more than the placard +1 or -1 for me. I equalize the pressure on all 4 tires. The dealer/tire people don't usually get all 4 exact.

I remember Ford and Firestone having a big fallout over tire pressures a few years back.
As I recall Ford recommended a lower pressure than ideal for safety to give the model concerned (I want to say Explorer but I'm open to correction) a softer ride, and Firestone wanted a higher pressure but didn't want to upset a major customer so went along with it.
However I have run my tires at the recommended pressures unless I notice excessive wear on the center or outer part of the tread.

Roger.

Do today's TPM systems alarm if tire pressures are too high? I've always tried to keep mine 2psig or so +/- from the door jamb label depending on ride, handling and tire wear.

Last edited:
2-4 over on the Buick, it calls for 30 front and back but doesn't handle very well. At 35 I start noticing every little bump.

My truck calls for 35 front and back but the tire shop told me to run them at 50 since there LT tires, they are wearing even and don't seem to stiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back