Why Do Ford Pickups Sell So Well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I heard, Ford sells more than Chevy and GMC combined. The 5.4 engine has many issues, the 6.0 and the 6.4 diesels were horrible and yet buyers kept buying them. GM has had issues with their AFM system but other than that their engines are pretty solid, and their trannys are reliable.

Is it price that attracts Ford buyers?

coffee2.gif

Well the 5.4 was discontinued in 2010 and the 6.0 diesel even earlier than that (2008 I believe). So not really relevant for current models.

Having owned both Chevy and Ford trucks (I'm not loyal to either) and driven both for many years as work vehicles as well, right now Ford simply makes a more comfortable riding, better handling, and IMHO better looking truck. Price is really not an object, both aren't cheap.

In the fleet vehicles we use at work, the Ford trucks seem to have better build quality, less rattles and loose interior pieces. I don't have any experience with their Diesels so I can't speak there but I will tell you some of the contractors I work with with RAM diesels have been complaining that they have to buy DEF fluid by the 55 gallon drums and the Ford owners have never mentioned that issue.

The difference is not that large, around 25k or so difference. GM sold more full-size trucks for a long time but Ford has a small lead for a while now.

But GM actually sold more trucks than Ford last year. Its why Fords commercials say "Full-size" sales number not truck totals. GMs mid-size trucks put it over the top.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01...nine-year-high/

GM = 940,730 total truck sales 2016 (796,556 FS and 146,174 MS)
Ford = 820,799 all full size since they do not have the ranger.

So GM sold more than 100,000 more trucks than Ford. But Ford sold 24,243 more Full size trucks than GM.

If I were in the market for a pickup I'd buy a Ford over a Chevy based on Ford not taking a bailout.

At work I drive an F-450 with the 6.7L. I have to say I love the truck. The engine runs great. And it actually rides and drives pretty nice for a heavy duty truck. I get about 14mpg and I don't baby it.

Because Ford Models make sense, F150 F250...F650 no bull... and priced low because of Volume.

Then you got yuppie junk like the Honda Ridgeline.... and the [censored] "GMC" or is it a Chevy, but it's the same truck.

Ford is bringing back the Ranger to the U.S. also.

Last edited:
Ford trucks have been offered with many more engines than those three. And a truck is more than just an engine. Super Duties are really stout trucks that can take a major beating.

While the 5.4 had some issues over the years, with a little bit of care (replacing plugs early), most versions are actually pretty reliable. Lots of 5.4s have gone over 300K. And as mentioned, Ford hasn't used it in a while anyway.

Not a full size, but I regularly drive my 23 year old Ford truck with 193K on the original engine and trans. Runs great, A/C is fantastic, seats are comfy, 4WD works perfect every time, and it even gets decent gas mileage for a 4.0L V6 4x4. I think there were good reasons for it being the best selling small truck in 1994.

I think it's because Ford sells fr less and make simple no frills work trucks. Standard Ford F150 comes with a 2.7 l motor. Seems like we get high mileage out of all our company trucks. I think Ford is going to hurt themselves with this aluminum kick they are on. I drove one for about 6 months and hated it.
I truck dealer told me once Everybody wants a Dodge for the motor, a Chevy for the transmission and a Ford for the price.
You won't find a cheaper truck to fix than a F150.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Last I heard, Ford sells more than Chevy and GMC combined. The 5.4 engine has many issues, the 6.0 and the 6.4 diesels were horrible and yet buyers kept buying them. GM has had issues with their AFM system but other than that their engines are pretty solid, and their trannys are reliable.

Is it price that attracts Ford buyers?

This ought to generate some very interesting comments!!

In my area/market Ford sells more trucks & always has, The Fullsize SUV market goes to GM by a landslide, Midsize truck....Toyota Tacoma.

If you took fleet sales out of the equation....The sales numbers would look very different! I wonder if they include F-450 & F-550 in total sales numbers? It just states F-Series.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Ecoboost has the other guys beat imho.
Ford did not take bailout money
Good marketing

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

My brother is a Ford guy and listens to AM radio. A lot of Ford truck guys are closed minded in my neck of the woods.
I have no idea if Chevy makes a better truck than Ford or vice versa. I do like the new upcoming Ford Ranger.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Ecoboost has the other guys beat imho.
Ford did not take bailout money
Good marketing

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

My brother is a Ford guy and listens to AM radio. A lot of Ford truck guys are closed minded in my neck of the woods.
I have no idea if Chevy makes a better truck than Ford or vice versa. I do like the new upcoming Ford Ranger.

I was just going to say that it's funny how Ford loyalists never want to acknowledge the 5.9 Billion dollar Government loan that Ford did take. The only difference is that it wasn't under TARP.

Originally Posted By: pbm
If I were in the market for a pickup I'd buy a Ford over a Chevy based on Ford not taking a bailout.
Ford took an EPA grant for 14 billion for development on alternative fuel vehicles but that not a bailout rite?

I've owned 4 GM trucks(all 1500's) and 4 Ford trucks(3 F150's and a Ranger). I just always had more issues out of the GM products and their interiors were cheaply made.

Originally Posted By: Elevguy
Originally Posted By: pbm
Ford took an EPA grant for 14 billion for development on alternative fuel vehicles but that not a bailout rite?

Student loans and welfare checks can both come from the government does that make them the same?

I always thought Ford sold more than Chevy, but GM sold more than Ford when you combine Chevy and GMC.

at least in my area, it's because of the Local ford engine plant...
people who work for ford, buy fords. non Ford employees, and most of the local LEO's also realize that healthy sales of the locally made engines, keeps folks in the area with good jobs, etc....

also, cuz 'MURICA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back