Dealer oil change: What did they fill with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why

Had my 2016 Silverado 5.3L in for service, and decided to let them change my oil as it was free, and I had heard that AC Delco 0w-20 was now a full synthetic where before it was a semi-syn. I was looking at the invoice and was trying to verify the fill was correct, but I can't find specs for the part number listed. The part number used for the oil is 88864004. Not going to panic if it's the older stuff, but just want to know going forward. Appreciate any help.

Dealerships I have found that you are at their mercy as far as oil. Many were putting g bulk 10w30 in everything for years regardless. Not that it was hurting anything but good luck getting a straight answer because it's likely don't worry it's under warranty at that point.

Free oil changes are usually what ever bulk 5w30 they can get.

I can't find the specs for that part number but its not cheap. So its some bulk oil I guess that meets GM spec and/or has their name on it.

Check your state laws. In many states, dealers are required to list the oil brand and specifications(e.g 5w-30 SN) of the oil they use. Most dealers don't know this law exists.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
I googled 88864004 and it comes up bulk 0w20.

I had gotten that far, but I figured it would specify whether the bulk oil was full or semi. Also reckoned that there would be different part numbers.

Service advisors probably just click on a random oil for the invoice. I highly doubt they'll be listing the exact oil used, because who knows what the tech used.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Service advisors probably just click on a random oil for the invoice. I highly doubt they'll be listing the exact oil used, because who knows what the tech used.

Probably right about that.

Originally Posted By: Why

Nope! The tech uses the oil and it is billed to the RO by the parts department. The service advisor has next to no say over the final RO - except editing comments. Techs sometimes use a ton of abbreviations or "interesting" spelling.

With regards to the oil: I'm pretty sure almost all 0W-20 oils are a blend, whether they're labeled synthetic or conventional...

I work at a Chevrolet dealership in service.
AC Delco 0w20 is NOW full synthetic. It was a blend last year but now is full syn

We keep 3 different bulk oils.
Conventional 5w30
Dexos Full Syn 5w30
Dexos Full Syn 0w20

All A/C Delco

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Nope! The tech uses the oil and it is billed to the RO by the parts department. The service advisor has next to no say over the final RO - except editing comments. Techs sometimes use a ton of abbreviations or "interesting" spelling.

With regards to the oil: I'm pretty sure almost all 0W-20 oils are a blend, whether they're labeled synthetic or conventional...

Correct. As a service advisor myself we create the invoice and parts looks up specs and bills the parts to the invoice. We can change labor prices on service and write comments is all. We cannot change parts prices

It will meet Dexos/specs. Guys change fluids on brand new vehicles on here. If your losing sleep you may want to consider a drain and fill of the oil only. Leave the filter.

Personally-I wouldn't even have begun to worry about what they put in......

Had my 2016 Silverado 5.3L in for service, and decided to let them change my oil as it was free, and I had heard that AC Delco 0w-20 was now a full synthetic where before it was a semi-syn. I was looking at the invoice and was trying to verify the fill was correct, but I can't find specs for the part number listed. The part number used for the oil is 88864004. Not going to panic if it's the older stuff, but just want to know going forward. Appreciate any help.
You got the bulk oil of the month from the dealer.

I bought a used Ford truck from a GM dealer and it had an AC Delco filter, and probably AC Delco oil. No problems whatsoever. I'm sure your Silverado will be fine.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:
I googled 88864004 and it comes up bulk 0w20.

If it's got the 0W in front, it's full synthetic.

Wrong. There are more than a few 0W-20 Synthetic Blends available. Honda, Motorcraft, Phillips 66, Pennzoil Gold, Havoline & others.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
If they're anything like my local dealer They probably filled it with [censored]

Same here.

Many dealers will use the least expensive bulk oil that will hopefully meet the manufacture's spec's. I found out that my wife's current dealer uses a conventional oil instead of the Motorcraft SynBlend 5W-30 for her 2017 Explorer with the 2.3 EB engine. They won't even tell me what it is. If you want synthetic blend they charge extra. The only oil changes they are doing are the 2 "complimentary" oil changes she received when she bought the Explorer this past February. They did the first one in April and will do the second one this coming January. It's too da*m cold to change the oil in January in my driveway. I'll change it in April again my self. I changed the oil myself in June and in August and will do it again in April.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back