2002 Volvo S60 won't rev over 1500 RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on a Volvo forum yesterday with no luck. Perhaps this issue isn't limited to just Volvo?

So far, it's done it once on Monday. It wouldn't go over 1500 RPM in a parking lot, but then went to about 3500 RPM and finally shifted. No check engine lights and the engine sounded fine. It was completely issue free today (8-23-17).

I replaced the throttle body with a Bosch unit back in March. Perhaps the MAF sensor is going out?

One person did chime in saying to check for codes with a scanner; there aren't any.

Thanks folks.

A FAULTY THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR WILL CAUSE THAT VERY ISSUE...IT HAPPENED AT RANDOM ON MY HYUNDAI..CHANGED THE SENSOR AND NO MORE PROBLEM

I had the same issue as delasueno with a Jeep TJ. Cheap replacement from scrap yard and the old girl was running fine. Jeep forum helped out on that one

Last edited:
Same issue with a KIA Sorento.

Dealer unplugged and checked the throttle position sensor - checked the connection made sure it was plugged in correctly and that ended the issue for me.

I should have mentioned that the throttle body and throttle position sensor is 1 assembly. The Bosch unit is also the OE part.

I guess that doesn't rule it out as the issue. Could be the plug too.

You would think it would throw a code and its fairly rare, but a crumbling cat will cause something like that as well. It can also be random as large chunks could shift around and block the exhaust more or less. They will also usually rattle enough to make you wonder what's about to fall off the car, but not always.

I had a similar problem but it was a Vehicle Speed Sensor. TPS or VSS I'd say. RPMs rev but speedometer doesn't move so more likely TPS.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I had a similar problem but it was a Vehicle Speed Sensor. TPS or VSS I'd say. RPMs rev but speedometer doesn't move so more likely TPS.

Is OPs volvo within the years of the bad solder joints in the ABS module? That would wreak havoc with vehicle speed and communication thereof to the main computer.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Is OPs volvo within the years of the bad solder joints in the ABS module? That would wreak havoc with vehicle speed and communication thereof to the main computer.

good catch!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Hmmm. I haven't heard of these issues yet.

A quick Google doesn't show anything that would relate to my year. Looks like 98-00 S70 and V70's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back