Best oil filter wrench for 2016 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad recently purchased a used 2016 Camry, which I will be doing the oil changes. Does anyone have any recommendation as far as a filter wrench for this car? Also, I have never changed a cartridge type oil filter. Any tips/advice would be appreciated .

It is not that bad.

A lot of Youtube video on it since Toyota uses the Cartridge Oil Filter since around 2007 or so in various different engines.

As for filter, there are lot of variety also.
I bought the Assenmacher brand from Amazon.
Some of them (cheap ones) tends to crack during use.

You may also get the hose connector to drain the filter, also available from a vendor @ Amazon.
Although, it is not necessary just a little bit more messy.

X2
laugh.gif

Hopefully it was properly torqued when was installed. Only vehicle I have that always needs a wrench is the big trucks and just can't get a good hold on them even when I just give them a hand torque. Good luck

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-Toyota-Filter-Engines/dp/B00XTAGHU0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1503531003&vehicle=2014-76-1027-269--40-6-5-7937-3093-1-1-2939-213-3-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2014%3Atoyota%3Asienna

Some of the other that depend only on the hex to loosen the canister will get stuck on the canister you need to whack them a few times to get them off.

When I tighten mine i only do it by hand just like a oil filter. I give it everything my hand can generate but never put a wrench to tighten it up. The large O-ring will keep it from unscrewing.

Then getting it off next time is just a little nudge to loosen it.

The first time I got my used 2014 sienna I could not get it off at all. I saw the dealership used what looked like a pipewrench to get it off. I used my beam torque wrench as a breaker bar to get some leverage and it was over 100ft/lbs to break! now I can get it off with a 12" socket wrench. (SMH)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Hopefully it was properly torqued when was installed. Only vehicle I have that always needs a wrench is the big trucks and just can't get a good hold on them even when I just give them a hand torque. Good luck

You must be a gorilla to remove the Camry cartridge by hand. It's on very tight.

Tips: Use a 1/2 inch ratchet to take it off and put it back on. You'll need the leverage. I tighten it until the housing stops turning. It stops abruptly.

I don't bother with the lower small drain plug. Just remove and replace the cartridge and treat it more or less like a regular can.

Replace the bigger o-ring each time. I lube the o-ring with oil. Don't know that matters. Make sure you put the o-ring in the correct groove.

Biggest issue I have is getting the filter wrench off the canister when I'm done. It takes a few good wacks with the ratchet handle to get it off.

Last edited:
I'll second the Assenmacher. Cast aluminum. I bought it in 2012 when we bought the camry. I used it for the 10th time last week. I store it in an empty toyota oil filter box so i can always spot it among the 75 cent purolators I got at walmart on clearance.

Please dont waist your time and money/buy it from the dealer for $15.00,ask them for a 20% internet discount!The quality is their and it will fit correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back