NOACK - Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a NOACK results for Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 - from the same bottle I did a VOA from. NOACK value came in below anything I would of expected and wonder if its a highly variable test...

Link to VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...o_5#Post4435754

i-zLXDbFQ-L.jpg

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Noack of 3.6.
Wonder if they repeat the test if they have doubts.

ASTM D5800 would specify a statistically valid number of samples either in the test itself or in some ancillary publication. It would also state if the test is prone to unusual variability.

It would also give reporting requirements for accuracy, which I assume Precision Petroleum Labs has followed when giving their result.

I have asked what procedure was used, there are three options per the spec (A,B, and C) - see below regarding potential difference. If Procedure A was used it would explain the low value plus variability. I have typically seen B when looking at oil specs.

Quote:
1.1 This test method covers three procedures for determining the evaporation loss of lubricating oils (particularly engine oils). Procedure A uses the Noack evaporative tester equipment; Procedure B uses the automated non-Woods metal Noack evaporative apparatus; and Procedure C uses Selby-Noack volatility test equipment. The test method relates to one set of operating conditions but may be readily adapted to other conditions when required.

1.2 Noack results determined using Procedures A and B show consistent differences. Procedure A gives slightly lower results versus Procedure B on formulated engine oils, while Procedure A gives higher results versus Procedure B on basestocks.

Maybe the formulation changed to pass the newest BMW LL-01 certification? I remember one poster indicated the test had changed fairly recently.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, that seems low. It should be around 6.2% according to SOPUS.

Remind me, did SOPUS actually provide that value? Thought it was from a Russian site.

Trying to determine my way ahead for oil in my 135, and a 6ish% NOACK is one of my criteria.

OP, thanks for doing this!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, that seems low. It should be around 6.2% according to SOPUS.

Remind me, did SOPUS actually provide that value? Thought it was from a Russian site.

It was provided to me via email from a SOPUS product manager. It was a couple of years ago though, so who knows if it's still applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back