Fuel product for cleaning out catalytic converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea if any such product exists, but right now I'd love to get my hands on one if I could. I just spend $930 on getting one replaced (price includes gaskets that were needed as well), and he warned me that there was another one on the Sienna, implying that that might need to be replaced as well at some point in the future.

I trust this guy--that's not the issue. I'm just wondering--is there something like techron that I can pour into the gas tank, that will help clean out the catalytic converter?

Last edited:
No additive that I could think of would make any difference at all.

The best additive as long as the Cats aren't too far gone already, is your right foot, use it! use it hard and use it often.

The best way to clean and keep a cat clean is heat, and working oxygen sensors of course.

Nope.
There are some youtubers (ETCG maybe) that soaked the catalytic converters in mild acids or some other solution that was supposedly clean up the cats, with little to no effects. So if something like that doesn't seem to work, there is no way that a fuel additive will.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
The best additive as long as the Cats aren't too far gone already, is your right foot, use it! use it hard and use it often.

The best way to clean and keep a cat clean is heat, and working oxygen sensors of course.

Agreed. It also helps if the engine is not an oil burner.

My mechanic mentioned the same thing. I told him that twice in the past couple of years, I've had to add oil (12 oz and 5 oz) to bring it back up to the full line, so it appears to be burning up a small amount of oil---but all the other times I've checked it (say, 5-6 times in the past 2-3 years) it has been at the full mark on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Tman220 said:
It also helps if the engine is not an oil burner.

Originally Posted By: paulri
My mechanic mentioned the same thing. I told him that twice in the past couple of years, I've had to add oil (12 oz and 5 oz) to bring it back up to the full line, so it appears to be burning up a small amount of oil---but all the other times I've checked it (say, 5-6 times in the past 2-3 years) it has been at the full mark on the dipstick.

That's not an oil burner. When the oil level goes to the low mark, or below, during the regular OCI, that's an oil burner and even then a mild one.
Catalytic converters do go out. It's can be cause by many different things, like lots of short trips, poor quality gas, misfires, pre-ignition, etc.

I had that problem on a 2002 Toyota Solara, probably due to leaking valve stem seals; however I cleared it up by running lacquer thinner in the gas tank. As shown on Scotty Kilmer.com, it took two attempts and the code hasn't returned in two years.

Why did you replace the original cat? Was it clogged, damaged, flunk emissions? You burn out a cat by getting it hot then disconnecting the FPR vacuum hose so it will run rich. Then drive it for a half hour in 2nd to keep up the RPM and not get arrested. Reconnect the Vacuum hose and continue the Italian tune up. Did the mechanic replace or even test the O2 sensors?

THere is Ann additive in the UK called Cataclean that has been proven to work.

It is often used when a car fails its annual MOT emissions check.

A car trade magazine tested it and found that it improved emissions.

I have used it a couple of times on newly purchased runarounds and cars I had bought to resell to good effect.

If memory serves it also cleans up the lambda sensors aswell.

https://www.cataclean.com/

Last edited:
I think our sienna actually has 3 cat's. The service records on mine with 278k miles indicates that 2 of them have been replaced. I am just hoping the third or any of them go anytime soon. My sienna doesn't burn oil within a 5k OCI. Expensive fix though. Just know that your 3.3 in your sienna will go the distance, it is very reliable.

Originally Posted By: paulri

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Tman220 said:
It also helps if the engine is not an oil burner.

There is absolutely no harm in NOT ADDING that oil to "top off" your crank case-with 5 to 12 oz of oil.(Your dipstick isn't that accurate to require that little oil). As others have said-that's not an "oil burner".

Yes, I realize it is reliable. I took it to 8K conventional OCIs for the first 120K of its life and the darn thing never complained.
smile.gif
I know better now, though.

If I average out the $930 over the last few years (this is the first non-maintenance bill I've had in several years---all the rest have been tires, brakes, etc.) this is pretty decent, and I suppose it could have happened regardless of what car I drove.

My mechanic never mentioned testing 02 sensors. He might have, I don't know. But I've taken my cars to him too many times for noises, only to get a call back later in the day with "nothing's wrong," and not even being charged a diagnostic fee, I don't question him at this point. The guy has proven his competence and his honesty, so I pay when he says pay and I don't when he doesn't.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I think our sienna actually has 3 cat's. The service records on mine with 278k miles indicates that 2 of them have been replaced. I am just hoping the third or any of them go anytime soon. My sienna doesn't burn oil within a 5k OCI. Expensive fix though. Just know that your 3.3 in your sienna will go the distance, it is very reliable.

Last edited:
Clogged catalysts are a good thing ! It's how the toyota reduces exhaust pulsation and drone for a smooth quiet ride. Some people really value that. Also it smooths out accelerator response by restricting exhaust flow for smooth driving and transient response. Also, other cars simply just burn oil because they suck and that's a pain and inconvenience but in the toyota, this is the exclusive automatic oil changing feature. All you need to do is add oil! How amazing is that?

Just take care of all the defects, be extra vigilant with the auto oil changer and keep fixing everything that goes out and you've got a 10,000,000 mile engine right there.
laugh.gif

If all ELSE is well ( AF metering, Lambda sense, etc)

Hardware/paint store stuff:
1 pint of Xylene, 4 oz Acetone and 1 pint of Toluol mixed over 2 gallons of gas into ~ 1/2 tank ( 6-10 gallons total)

Drive normally for day or 2 until car runs well then start to give it the Italian tune. WOT 2K up to 4K then gradually up to 5K. Let car cool after 2 or 3 ramp ups then do it again.
Best accomplished on the highway during non peak hours.

Let us know how it went if it didn't grenade.

I just had the 3 catalyst y pipe replaced on my 06 Escalade because it was falling apart and rattling inside the pipes. First catalyst that has failed for me, first vehicle I've owned in 30 years that doesn't burn a drop of oil. The tailpipe so clean you can see surface rust inside. Maybe a little soot isn't so bad after all. Must have dried out, dehydrated and fell apart being so clean for 150k.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If all ELSE is well ( AF metering, Lambda sense, etc)

Hardware/paint store stuff:
1 pint of Xylene, 4 oz Acetone and 1 pint of Toluol mixed over 2 gallons of gas into ~ 1/2 tank ( 6-10 gallons total ).

Sounds like Berryman B-12. It has toluene and acetone. I have good results with it.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
THere is Ann additive in the UK called Cataclean that has been proven to work.

It is often used when a car fails its annual MOT emissions check.

A car trade magazine tested it and found that it improved emissions.

I have used it a couple of times on newly purchased runarounds and cars I had bought to resell to good effect.

If memory serves it also cleans up the lambda sensors aswell.

https://www.cataclean.com/

I used Cataclean on my wife's X3 when it was throwing a catalyst efficiency code; it kept the light off for over one year.

It says to use a bottle every 3 months. Is this what you did, or did one bottle do it for you?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I used Cataclean on my wife's X3 when it was throwing a catalyst efficiency code; it kept the light off for over one year.

Waiting for someone to mention CRC Guaranteed to Pass. Car had a PO430 that slowly over 3 years came on more and more frequently, til it was always on. Car came up for emissions and my luck changed, the light went away for 600 miles. I dropped CRC G2P in just in case and had the car tested. The guy didn't even run it on the rollers and measured emissions off the tail pipe. Just plugged it into a computer. Passed. The code eventually came back up 2 months later, but... that was the longest stretch the past 4 years that's it's gone without the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back