Best lube for disassembled door locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am about to restore my car which means I have fully disassembled all parts. It also means I have all 5 lock cylinders as single units in my hand.

I do understand many people suggest graphite or some dry lube for installed locks as some sort of quick fix if there are any problems.

I am looking for a long term solution because now I have a chance of providing the best lubrication while the locks are out.

Can anyone recommend a solution?

I was thinking of fully submerging all lock cylinders in a synthetic 0W40 engine oil. A 0W40 should stay thin at cold temperatures, the synthetic oil should never gum up as a mineral oil. I would let it drip off and occasionally wipe the excess off until I will install them again in 6 months.

Lucas

Not sure Id want oil in there. It will get gummy over time and hold dirt/grit.

Thought silicone or graphite were the right options. Certain rub points internal to the door skin but external to the assembly might get a thin coat of grease like one of the molykote options, shin etsu, etc.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Wd40

Don't use WD-40. It will attract dirt and dust and gum up your locks. I've used white lithium grease with good results.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Wd40

Don't use WD-40. It will attract dirt and dust and gum up your locks. I've used white lithium grease with good results.

What allows white lithium grease to repel dirt and dust?
confused2.gif

I've rebuilt all the lock cylinders on my BMW and a couple on my Toyota, and the thing that works best for me is the little tube of lubricant BMW gives you when you buy a wafer set. I've been unable to find it separately from the kits and I'd like to find something similar. I don't know what that grease is exactly but it works great down to low temperatures and the cylinders never get stiff or gooey.

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Hi,

I am about to restore my car which means I have fully disassembled all parts. It also means I have all 5 lock cylinders as single units in my hand.

I do understand many people suggest graphite or some dry lube for installed locks as some sort of quick fix if there are any problems.

I am looking for a long term solution because now I have a chance of providing the best lubrication while the locks are out.

I was thinking of fully submerging all lock cylinders in a synthetic 0W40 engine oil. A 0W40 should stay thin at cold temperatures, the synthetic oil should never gum up as a mineral oil. I would let it drip off and occasionally wipe the excess off until I will install them again in 6 months.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I've rebuilt all the lock cylinders on my BMW and a couple on my Toyota, and the thing that works best for me is the little tube of lubricant BMW gives you when you buy a wafer set. I've been unable to find it separately from the kits and I'd like to find something similar. I don't know what that grease is exactly but it works great down to low temperatures and the cylinders never get stiff or gooey.

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Hi,

Honda provides a similar grease. It is a very, very light silicone grease.

My friend is a professional locksmith for the last 30 years & he recommends cleaning all the internals with electrical contact cleaner & using no lubricating products at all. Just keep the keys clean. If the lock has problems already, then use Tri-Flow sparingly.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I use 5W-30. If I lived in Denmark, I might be tempted to use a lighter grade oil.

For how many years have you been doing that?

Lucas

GM makes a door lock lube - but they also recommended Mobil 1 as a substitute. My 92 Suburban has a TSB regarding door lock lube. I always used M1 5W-30 on the doors and the ignition - I lube them every 5 years or so.

When I lube door locks, I prefer a dry film lube or a PTFE-containing product like Super Lube or Tri-Flow grease.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I'm not too familiar with grease, but what about something like Napa SylGlyde?

I believe that has solids.

3m wet silicone aerosol is probably good, but I'd still look at shinnetsu grease from Honda. Dot 5 brake fluid on a key may also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back