Motorcraft F/S 5W-30 - 2015 Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a recent UOA from Blackstone for my Fusion. I currently have another sample on its way to Blackstone. I will update this post when that report comes back. I had a spike in iron on my oil change in February and that number has decreased since. What could potentially be the cause of that and what parts are made of iron in the engine?

Originally Posted By: ssamaroo01
what parts are made of iron in the engine?

Crankshaft, camshafts, connecting rods, timing chain, timing chain sprockets are some of the major iron parts.

I had a spike in iron on my oil change in February and that number has decreased since. What could potentially be the cause of that and what parts are made of iron in the engine?

Cold ambient temperatures in winter months leading up to February could cause increased corrosion wear rates ......
I speculate, mainly from cylinder liners and cam lobes, among others.

Originally Posted By: zeng
I had a spike in iron on my oil change in February and that number has decreased since. What could potentially be the cause of that and what parts are made of iron in the engine?

Cold ambient temperatures in winter months leading up to February could cause increased corrosion wear rates ......

So it is normal to see increase wear in colder months. Would longer idling times during winter months further increase wear even more. I usually let it idle for about 5 minutes before driving in temperatures below freezing.

That engine, with turbo, is actually breaking apart some of the chemicals that hold the viscosity (thickness) high when hot, known as VII (viscosity index improver) chemicals, resulting in low hot viscosity here. I think that is why Ford specifies the use of 5w30 instead of 5w20 in this particular engine, because they expect this to happen and the engine has plenty of ability to cope well with lower viscosity when it happens.

Iron comes from so many steel parts inside your engine. Its friggin' everywhere. I replaced my normal drain plug with a strong magnetic drain plug for the purposes of grabbing any iron (Fe) particles floating by in the night.... Brands 'Dimple' or 'GoldPlug', google that to buy online, are the best.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That engine, with turbo, is actually breaking apart some of the chemicals that hold the viscosity (thickness) high when hot, known as VII (viscosity index improver) chemicals, resulting in low hot viscosity here. I think that is why Ford specifies the use of 5w30 instead of 5w20 in this particular engine, because they expect this to happen and the engine has plenty of ability to cope well with lower viscosity when it happens.

Iron comes from so many steel parts inside your engine. Its friggin' everywhere. I replaced my normal drain plug with a strong magnetic drain plug for the purposes of grabbing any iron (Fe) particles floating by in the night.... Brands 'Dimple' or 'GoldPlug', google that to buy online, are the best.

Thank you for that explanation. I will be ordering a GoldPlug soon.

So it is normal to see increase wear in colder months. Would longer idling times during winter months further increase wear even more. I usually let it idle for about 5 minutes before driving in temperatures below freezing.

This would be my guess as well. Winter weather. Letting it warm up for 5 minutes won't hurt the engine.

Originally Posted By: volk06

This would be my guess as well. Winter weather. Letting it warm up for 5 minutes won't hurt the engine.

Yes I have remote start and I do idle for about 5 minutes when temps dip below freezing.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

While some shearing may have occurred, the majority of the reduced viscosity is likely caused by fuel dilution that is common in TGDI engines. Keep in mind that, because of its methodology, Blackstone is essentially useless when it comes to quantifying fuel dilution.

Originally Posted By: Danh

While some shearing may have occurred, the majority of the reduced viscosity is likely caused by fuel dilution that is common in TGDI engines. Keep in mind that, because of its methodology, Blackstone is essentially useless when it comes to quantifying fuel dilution.

What does Blackstone do wrong in regards to fuel dilution? I've read this repeatedly and don't understand the problem, when they explicitly state fuel % in each report. Is the number just wrong?

Originally Posted By: Danh

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/19/flash-point-test explains.
Blackstone infers fuel dilution % from the reduction in flashpoint.
In this case, I'm guessing new Motorcraft Synthetic oil flashes at about 440 degrees F (like Mobil1), and in this used oil case it dropped to 400 deg F, which does indicate some small amount of fuel dilution, but I'm not sure what figure Blackstone used for the expected value of new oil.
So its a little fuzzy doing it that way.

Last edited:
Good to see a report with MC oil in the Ecoboost. We don't get too many of those here. That iron blip is strange for your samples, but not high overall compared to some other reports we have seen.

Are all of the reports shown with MC oil? It might be fun to see how another oil holds up.

Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted By: dogememe
What does Blackstone do wrong in regards to fuel dilution? I've read this repeatedly and don't understand the problem, when they explicitly state fuel % in each report. Is the number just wrong?

They basically make an interpretation based upon flashpoint, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted By: Onug
Good to see a report with MC oil in the Ecoboost. We don't get too many of those here. That iron blip is strange for your samples, but not high overall compared to some other reports we have seen.

Are all of the reports shown with MC oil? It might be fun to see how another oil holds up.

Thanks for sharing

No problem! The first oil change was done by the dealer and they filled it up with MC Blend. That sample was changed, analyzed and dated 9/28/15. The next two oil changes dated 12/5/15 and 3/12/16 are RP. After that, I've been exclusively MC F/S and those results are shown on the report at the beginning of this thread.

Great info...I can't wait to have a similar set of data for my truck. You're driving 30,000 miles a year, so that adds up quickly.

On a side note, EB motors are known for being hard on spark plugs. The general consensus on the Ford forum I frequent is it's best to change them every 50,000 miles.

Great info...I can't wait to have a similar set of data for my truck. You're driving 30,000 miles a year, so that adds up quickly.

On a side note, EB motors are known for being hard on spark plugs. The general consensus on the Ford forum I frequent is it's best to change them every 50,000 miles.

Thanks for the tip. I've already had issues with them causing misfires around 43k and replaced them. They are even harder on them when your EB is tuned.

Thanks for the tip. I've already had issues with them causing misfires around 43k and replaced them. They are even harder on them when your EB is tuned.

On the Focus ST, going with a Denso spark plug one grade colder seems to help the issue a lot, especially with a tune. Aggressive tunes require them. Same with the EB 2.3L Mustangs.

This is a recent UOA from Blackstone for my Fusion. I currently have another sample on its way to Blackstone. I will update this post when that report comes back. I had a spike in iron on my oil change in February and that number has decreased since. What could potentially be the cause of that and what parts are made of iron in the engine?

A couple questions:
Did you do this oil change yourself? So you can confirm it is actually 5W-30. The reason I am asking is that there have been reports of dealers throwing in 5W-20 instead of 5W-30.
And this is the full synthetic MC, not the blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back