80,000hp natural gas drive....Trent core

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. Haven't looked at how this compares to the LM6000.

Believe this is a three spool GT which is interesting in its own right.

Yes, three spool.

I only ever played with the LM2500s back in 1990, and was on a cruise liner in January that had a pair of them.

The big big stationary GTs, like the GT26 are so far removed from the aero engines, that I'd lost track of the aero derivatives and their appications.

Aeroderivatives rule the roost!
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I only ever played with the LM2500s back in 1990, and was on a cruise liner in January that had a pair of them.

The old CF6 never dies. They're going to make LM2500s for the next fifty years.

Size, complexity, power....They're just staggering! Could you scope what one installation, ready to run @ 80MW, would cost? $30M or am I way off?

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Size, complexity, power....They're just staggering! Could you scope what one installation, ready to run @ 80MW, would cost? $30M or am I way off?

Sorry. I meant 60MW as mentioned in the original post.

Yes, three spool.

The big big stationary GTs, like the GT26 are so far removed from the aero engines, that I'd lost track of the aero derivatives and their appications.

We build lots of ships with four of them onboard.

Sorry. I meant 60MW as mentioned in the original post.

Doubt you're way off. Low side though.

Yes, three spool.

Are those shiny round things external burner cans (for lack of a better term due to my ignorance) like the bottle appearing cans from days of yore?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We build lots of ships with four of them onboard.

I had read somewhere awhile back that those installations have upwards of 100,000 HP. I bet that'll wake you up in the morning.

Yes, three spool.

Are those shiny round things external burner cans (for lack of a better term due to my ignorance) like the bottle appearing cans from days of yore?

yep

More engine happiness. Worthy of hanging in a gallery.

GEnx-1B_Boeing787Dreamliner_GEphoto.jpg

I consider aircraft a work art. Looking at them closely brings tears to my eyes. It is hard to believe mere mortals do the design, engineering, assembly, maintenance and piloting.

I was just thinking the other day about how the little flea spec beings that we are can contemplate the beginnings and the farthest reaches of our universe. Not that we will ever have all the answers (and that would be pretty dull) but that we are intelligent enough to ask the questions. Awesome stuff and I hope we can continue creating things like aircraft and spacecraft without killing ourselves. "What a piece of work is man" said Will Shakespeare. And no accident I say. Cheers CT8, I'd like to visit your neck of the woods one day.

The acceleration of knowledge is truly amazing (and I firmly believe that certain covert organisations are about 15 years ahead of what we see - e.g. the Oxcart, and Project blue book which was a tool to get the public to report sightings, so that they could see how stealthy it was).

There's pretty strong evidence that the Romans nearly had an industrial revolution...it's staggering to imagine where we'd be now if there was a 2,000 year head start ? (probably a handful of rock throwers sitting on a smouldering cinder I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back