Looking to buy a cheap Japanese SUV. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy a daily driver/ occasional tow vehicle. I was given the opportunity to get a free isuzu rodeo but a family friend who has kids really needed it instead so it was given to them. Totally agree with the decision.

I would like an SUV (have no use for pickup) that can tow 4000lbs. Preferably an auto but would buy a manual no problem if it was the right deal. Would like 4x4. Will be buying in Maryland as I am moving back to the Baltimore area with my fiancee in 2 months.

I would like to do this on the cheap. $3000 or so. Not much more. I would like to stay Japanese as well.

I have looked at:
Rodeo/passport - auto trans issues
Xterra - automatic trans pink milkshake issue?
Pathfinder - don't know much and most have leather which I do not want.
Mitsubishi montero - know nothing but many nice ones for sale for cheap. Any issues?
4runner - forget it. Everything has 350k miles for $3k.

Any ideas? Willing to do work and have the means to so any mechanical repair myself. Looking for a semi reliable daily driver that I can tow with on occasion while I do a full build on the mr2. Would like to keep after and long term as a daily driver.

Thanks!

Mitsubishi Montero would be a decent choice but where can you find them? Also, it may not have the power of say a Ford or GovMo but you must know that already.

I went through this exact same factoring several years ago. I would recomend this: Get a 1992 to 1997 Isuzu Trooper or 96/97 Acura SLX (same vehicle). These have the 3.2 V6 which does not burn oil like the 3.5L (1998 and up - because of bad oil ring design). The auto trans issues are totally manageably with some simple common sense and mods. The frame and brakes are totally up to that tow weight and more.

The auto transmission is the GM 4L30E and a bit stressed in this vehicle if run hard. If you install a) a cooler (easy, cheap), and b) a temp gauge (easy, cheap), and change the fluid periodically and keep it topped up (easy, cheap), it will last forever. I can walk you through all that; I and others have posted about it at planetisuzoo.com.

The Rodeo/Passport frame is not ideal for towing the weight you want. Toyotas of the vintage are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. The Isuzu delivers toyota level quality and reliability with some needed care regarding the GM transmission. I have owned a 1998 Acura SLX (with the otherwise excellent but bad oil ring desing 3.5L) for 7/8 years and know most all the ins and outs. I love Toyota/Lexus and also own them now and in the past, but totally agree that for cheap good 4x4 and towing, the 4runner is not it.

You can find this vintage Trooper with a 5 speed, but as a daily driver in the Baltimore/DC area, that's more pain than even the Rock can take. The auto can be reliable with cheap mods and maintenance.

There's a reason the 4Runner holds it's value better than any of the others. I worked on them all back in the day, I have friends that still do.

My suggestion is to find a good, clean, well maintained 4Runner, and continue to maintain it.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
There's a reason the 4Runner holds it's value better than any of the others. I worked on them all back in the day, I have friends that still do.

My suggestion is to find a good, clean, well maintained 4Runner, and continue to maintain it.

I have to agree with this....

Looking at your list, the Montero/Pajero is a whole step up from the others. Independent rear suspension from 2000 and just classier and upmarket alround. Down here we get them new or imported, all made in Japan, or the Netherlands. Totally bulletproof throughout, practically nothing goes wrong with these things. Uh, apart from the engine, petrol or diesel there are issues. The V6 is a complicated engine, and labour intensive if worked on. the 4M41 diesel is not so bad....but I did an injector pump on one a few years ago. Not available, they had to make one just for this vehicle.6 week wait, and was all good again.

I just don't get the need to stay Japanese. The 4Runner is kind of the gold standard in that segment, but not sure Id want to pull 4000 lbs with one that I bought for $3k.

I'm sure you can get a deal on a few of the others, but the the reliability may not be up to par. That said, if you're buying a $3k 10+ year old truck, you should expect to spend a thousand if not thousands of dollars on work and parts replacement, even if on a "reliable" vehicle.

Id probably look for a used Tahoe or excursion or similar. Even a mid 90s k blazer. These will be simple, cheap tonrepair/keep, if a bit thirsty. But that said,the wife's old 4Runner was never a fuel champ and certainly didn't have a 350 under the hood...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I just don't get the need to stay Japanese. The 4Runner is kind of the gold standard in that segment, but not sure Id want to pull 4000 lbs with one that I bought for $3k.

I'm sure you can get a deal on a few of the others, but the the reliability may not be up to par. That said, if you're buying a $3k 10+ year old truck, you should expect to spend a thousand if not thousands of dollars on work and parts replacement, even if on a "reliable" vehicle.

Id probably look for a used Tahoe or excursion or similar. Even a mid 90s k blazer. These will be simple, cheap tonrepair/keep, if a bit thirsty. But that said,the wife's old 4Runner was never a fuel champ and certainly didn't have a 350 under the hood...

+1 I'm with you. A Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon is what I'd be after. Big, comfy, reliable, cheap to repair.

Or a 5.6 V8 Pathfinder. Nissan actually made them, and they're BEASTLY. Rare though.

That paltry budget Id peek at the plentiful Ford Explorers out there.

Your budget is too low for Japanese and 4k towing. If it were 3k towing it would be in range of capabilities of an old Japanese SUV.

The 2005+ V6 pathfinder is rated for 5k towing, the 05+ Xterra is 4k, but the Xterra has a solid rear axle which is nice for towing.
Was there rwd pathfinders in the US? A rwd 4runner would be cheaper too I guess, but perhaps useless in Denver in winter?
For $3-4k you should buy more on the maintenance done to the vehicle than its reputation. An old V6 exploder that's been taken care of can be much cheaper to own than a 4runner that "hasn't needed anything" for 200k miles...

If you get 4x4 you'll get a rustbucket that was driven in snow/salt. "Just wanting it" is as dumb a reason as country of origin.

What about a Toyota T100 with camper shell? They started making them in the late 90s so should be at the $3k mark.

There is a difference between reliability and durability. A well engineered little cute ute that was splendid until this point will be overloaded and start breaking stuff. A poorly engineered hammer of an American truck will clunk along to this point and keep clunking without a care in the world.

Look at old conversion vans. Lots of passenger space, a real frame, and lots of trailer capacity. Depreciate like rocks too.

Your not going to get into a Xterra 05-11 that had the pink milkshake issue for 3k anyway. The simple and not to expensive solution was to change out the radiator before 90k miles. Been there done that on mine as I got mine at 90K miles when all fluids and plugs were to be changed.
Trying right now to balance the fleet as my need for it is not very high that we go to TX for the winter. Its market value is still above 5k. Tows 5k without issue and even comes with tow package.
5,000lb towing capacity is according to the manual, 9-20, 2006

If it was my $$$ looking to tow that much I would be looking at the Chevy Trailblazer. The Atlas is a great engine and that truck can tow 4000 easy.

I guess I excpeted this. I should have been more clear. I have owned several American trucks and SUV in my past. Fine vehicles. I just do not want one this time around for various reasons.

That aside, I was asking for input on the vehicles I listed instead of a lecture on why I should buy something American instead.

Mostly interested in the montero because it is easy to find near me in good shape for the price.

What years did the xterra have the pink milkshake problems? Are they otherwise reliable?

Thanks everyone who gave genuine input on my questions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
Looking at your list, the Montero/Pajero is a whole step up from the others. Independent rear suspension from 2000 and just classier and upmarket alround. Down here we get them new or imported, all made in Japan, or the Netherlands. Totally bulletproof throughout, practically nothing goes wrong with these things. Uh, apart from the engine, petrol or diesel there are issues. The V6 is a complicated engine, and labour intensive if worked on. the 4M41 diesel is not so bad....but I did an injector pump on one a few years ago. Not available, they had to make one just for this vehicle.6 week wait, and was all good again.

Can't comment on the diesel, but my 6G72 12-valve is at 450,000 km (282,000 miles) on the original drivetrain and going! The bottom end on these is indestructible. I did have an oil burning issue at ~200,000 km, due to sub par oil being used by the dealer before I took on the maintenance, but after replacing the seals and guides, it's been on MB Sheet 229.5 spec oil and never had an issue with oil consumption since.

Working on it is definitely labor intensive, depending on what you're doing - I had the RTV go out on the engine oil pan 3 years ago, and I simply pulled the engine out for that one, due to the differential in the way. But other things have been "relatively" straight forward - timing belt (including the water pump), plugs, etc. Doesn't make as much torque as an American engine of the time, but with a 4.56 rear axle, it has decent get up and go. Mine's been with the family for almost 18 years now (bought new in October '99), and the newer ones are definitely more car-like and luxurious, whereas the V43 is more truck like. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I was in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back