Castrol GTX synblend 5w-20 in a Mazda5 2.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
0/20 is for gas mileage in the USA, many mazdas outside USA say 5/30 is ok which is higher then the 5/20 your asking about.

Not that it matters or means anything.
I never used 0/20 in our 2012 Skyactive Mazda because of the above. Also the direct injection engine is known to dump a bit of fuel into the oil and thins it out. (not that it means anything as well)

Once or twice I used 5/20 (and I truly mean once or twice) but last couple years only use 5/30 We live in hot climate. Your good to go with your 5/20. No engine, not just Mazda would care if it was 0/20 or 5/20 or 5/30. Ok, wouldnt hurt if in sub zero weather to use a 0/20 or 5/20 ...

Last edited:
I use 0-20 synthetic oil in mine and wix filter and change at 7.5k. Has worked great. Love the Mazda5 that we have and is just over 90k now.

I remember when 5w30 didn't exist.

Don't worry about the W's until its 20 below.

You should run a straight 20 Spring through Fall
smile.gif

and ... Lemme know if you find a good one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Great! Will this synblend be OK for 5k miles?

I'm afraid 10k miles OCI should be considered for Castrol blend.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
No engine, not just Mazda would care if it was 0/20 or 5/20 or 5/30.

Mostly true, except for some Hemi 5.7 engines, with cylinder deactivation... Those will even start acting up if you simply use a "thick" 0w20/5w20. That is according to Hemi forums. Never had one myself, yet.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
I use 0-20 synthetic oil in mine and wix filter and change at 7.5k. Has worked great. Love the Mazda5 that we have and is just over 90k now.

Have a 2014 Mazda 5 2.5L with just over 60K; been using 0-20 AFE pretty religiously, but may start looking at something a bit thicker. Love this vehicle; too bad Mazda decided to pull them from the US sales market.

On a different note, does the 2.5 non-Skyactiv engine use direct injection? Might explain some of the knocking of late at low revs under load. Use 87 Costco fuel almost exclusively, but wondering about carbon buildup if this is a DI engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back